Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
What can't I keep in an acrylic tank?
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lauipala
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.14(Sat)21:29    Post subject: What can't I keep in an acrylic tank? Reply with quote

Question I have just recived an acrylic tank and I found out how easly they can get scratched. I know that puffers teeth can scratch acrylic but what about starfish and urchins that can climb on the glass or even scurrying hermit crabs? Please help me I have been in the hobby for more than a year but this is my first acrylic tank and I would like to know what would not make a suitable inhabitant.
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.15(Sun)0:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

how big is this acrilic tank. you have to give us all the tank details, equitment lighting ect.

andrew
2 winged demons
drbdc
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.15(Sun)8:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stay away from urchins. And get a scratch kit. I keep anything I want in mine just watch that you have an acrylic cleaning magnet. The glass ones WILL scratch it. Be real real careful not getting sand between that and the cleaner. An area about 1/2-1 inch above the sand ignore with anything but a hand algae cleaner. It's amazing but if you clean all the rest, that last inch at the bottom your cleanup crew will mostly take care of. I have friends with puffers in them and they haven't had any problems.
lauipala
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.15(Sun)13:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tank is 30 gallons not including the sump. I have not installed any lighting in the hood yet. And the stand has switches and timers for all of outlets. The brand of the acrylic is TRU VU.
Thanks for the advice no urchins then. The reason I thought that puffers teeth would scratch the acrylic was I read an ad somebody put in the pennysaver. It said that they had to get rid of thier puffer beacuase when he came up to the tank his teeth would leave scratches. I had never thought to leave an inch for the cleanup crew.
 Forum Index > Marine Fishes and Corals All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: