Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
mini salt water tank and tomato clowns
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joitoy
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.14(Sat)12:35    Post subject: mini salt water tank and tomato clowns Reply with quote

In a few days I'll be upgrading my current pet into a 10 gallon tank..and that leaves my 2.5 gallon free for a new inhabitant. I've been researching and reading articles, and came across one that states its possible to keep a tomat clown in a two gallon tank, without harming or stressing it.

I guess I'm just a little bit weary, I'd love to have one as the single fish in the tank if its really possible to make one comfortable in such small space. What equipment would I need to start off, besides marine sand, aquarium salt, and a filtered environment, all of which I can easily provide. By research, I've read that a cave or a few plants would also help. I'm still in the process of researching care of the fish itself, but am more concerned about the tank environment now, because the sooner I begin the cycle, the better, as I can allow it to sit and filter for however many days or weeks it is necessary.

That brings up a second question. I've read that a full water change is necessary each week for a tank that smal, but then I've been told that by doing that, you begin the cycle again. Isn't that harmful to the fish in the tank? No matter how much I read, I still don't completely understand the proper way to cycle and water change without disrupting everything.

Edit: I guess you can say from past mistakes in fish keeping, I want to take extra care this time around to ensure I do nothing wrong, and that if another death occurs it wasn't because I was poorly educated or a mistake I've made.
perfectblue
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.14(Sat)20:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

The minimum size tank for a Tomato Clown is 20 gallons, so no you can't keep a Tomato Clown in a 2.5 gallon tank. I would recommend you to get a few good books and read up on cycling a saltwater tank.

55 gallon saltwater tank

Three 1 gallon Betta bowls
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.14(Sat)20:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've been researching and reading articles, and came across one that states its possible to keep a tomat clown in a two gallon tank, without harming or stressing it.

tommato clowns are one of the larger clown species, I myself had a large female about 3-4" in length and quite wide. large waste producers. so a complete no-no for nano aquaria. a 2.5 would be more suited as a small coral only or possibly coral only with a couple small invertabrates.

Quote:
because the sooner I begin the cycle, the better, as I can allow it to sit and filter for however many days or weeks it is necessary.

the average cycle lasts about 5-8 weeks. the best way to cycle is do add a portion of a frozen prawn to the tank and allow it to rot, creating ammonia and starting the cycle. It is highly not recomend to cycle a tank using fish due to the toxicity of ammonia and nitrite, two chemicals that reach high concentrations during the cycle.

Quote:
I've read that a cave or a few plants would also help.

there are no "plants" in marine aquarium simply algaes and corals.
however most fish like caves.

Quote:
That brings up a second question. I've read that a full water change is necessary each week for a tank that smal, but then I've been told that by doing that, you begin the cycle again. Isn't that harmful to the fish in the tank? No matter how much I read, I still don't completely understand the proper way to cycle and water change without disrupting everything.

on such a small tank you could easily do maybe a 30-50% water change a week as long as the new water for the water change was at the exact same salinity and temperature as the main tank's water. as I stated above best way to cycle is with a dead frozen prawn, cut it up into peices and add a piece now and then once the last peice has rotted away. make sure you monitor your ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels during the cycle. also I highly recomend you read several of the articles on this site especialy the one on fishless cycling. here are links to the articles you should read:

http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_ciclo.php
http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_fishless.php
http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_saltbasics.php

please read these articles preferably in the order shown.

Quote:
Edit: I guess you can say from past mistakes in fish keeping, I want to take extra care this time around to ensure I do nothing wrong, and that if another death occurs it wasn't because I was poorly educated or a mistake I've made.

I know how you feel. I was litterly bashing my head against the wall with my first saltwater when I learned more about the hobby as my lfs said to cycle with damsels a hardy type of fish and eventually during the cycle he said I could add a large tommato clown. one of the main rules I have found in my 4 years of fish keeping is never ever trust the lfs. I have only came across 1 lfs that was trustworthy in canada and have yet to find one in australia that I think is as good.

good luck with your little nano.

andrew
2 winged demons
joitoy
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.14(Sat)20:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

SLACkra wrote:
Quote:
I've been researching and reading articles, and came across one that states its possible to keep a tomat clown in a two gallon tank, without harming or stressing it.

tommato clowns are one of the larger clown species, I myself had a large female about 3-4" in length and quite wide. large waste producers. so a complete no-no for nano aquaria. a 2.5 would be more suited as a small coral only or possibly coral only with a couple small invertabrates.

andrew

http://www.aquahobby.com/articles/e_minitanks.php

That's the location of the article I read. I've been having a great time reading the articles here, and that one stood out to me.

I'm a bit disappointed to know I cannot keep it in my aquarium, as I don't have a lot of money for buying larger ones right now.

I just want to keep one solitary fish. Any suggestion on what type of coral would be lovely. Thank you both of you for the advice, I'm glad to have that confirmed for me, that the gallon size is -not- appropriate, I just knew it was too good to be true!

As for now, I'll keep reading and researching, and put the tank on cycle as soon as I upgrade my toad to a better tank, even if I don't know what to put in it, it'll be good to get it started on its cycle anyway.
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.14(Sat)20:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am somewhat disturbed that there is an article on the age of aquariums saying that some one kept a tommato clown in a 2.1 gallon or 8 litre setup for 2 years before moving it to a larger more sutiable setup.

I gotta cut down one the sheer volume of my replys with advice. cause when I started posteding no one had replied to this topic!

with a 2.5 gallon tank depending on the dimentions you would want about 15watts of lighting, preferably 50/50 lighting, which is a mix between 50% 10000k and 50% actinic(blue) lighting. with that amount of lighting you could keep most soft corals. however I wouldn't recomend any lps in such a small tank due to the majority of them having sweeper tenticles. good tank inhabitants might be a couple or peppermint shrimp, small hermit crabs and other small invertabrates. however with sutiable water changes and good water quality you could keep an extremely small goby. I am talking extremely small here, maybe 1" in length!

andrew
2 winged demons
joitoy
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.14(Sat)20:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would that likely be the maximum size of the goby?...I know different species have different sizes tey may grow to, and different speeds of growth. I'll be able to begin a 20 gallon tank by this Christmas (we'll be moving into a larger, permanent place), and I'll feel comfortable with setting up a permanent tank. Right now I'm just a bit scared to start a large tank, then deal with the stress of moving the fish. I just wanted something small and pretty to look at to give me a bit of enjoyment until we settle somewhere where there won't be a need to drain a tank, then bucket the fish, and start a new cycle, etc.

I've been looking at hte corals, many of them state hard difficulty, and I'm doubting in the chances of finding one in the pet shops unless I travel 80 miles out to Houston (it'd be worth it though!).

I'm a bit worried though that a coral might eat an invertibrate.
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.15(Sun)0:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should be able to have an amazing looking little nano reef. heres a link to a great nano reef site: www.nano-reef.com . great site I went there for some advice when I started up my 7.5gallon nano reef. some of the smallest gobys I have seen are the clown gobys which include yellow coby, the citron goby and more.

I just found a perfect example of a good 2gallon tank with of course a couple of shrimp and a little yellow clown goby they're cool little guys. heres the link:
http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread.php?s=a8a8e6d6dd1270fb9c69bcf9c78e9b16&threadid=49502

andrew
2 winged demons
perfectblue
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.15(Sun)4:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some Gobies you could get.

Max size 1 and a half inch:Green Clown goby, Yellow Clown goby, Black Clown goby, and Brown Clown goby.

Max size 1 inch: Red Striped goby, Neon Eviota goby, and Trimma goby.

Look under Pico Reefs at nano-reef.com for more info.

Good luck with your tank. Very Happy

55 gallon saltwater tank

joitoy
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.15(Sun)9:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both of you for your help, I' hoping I won't end up making an online order, but I think it is the only way if I want to be guaranteed healthy fish Sad the nearby store only has a day warranty,and thats just not good enough for the price salt water fish generally cost.

I'm partial to the yellow clown or the striped, both are gorgeous fish.

As a matter of curiosity, I was just in the middle of trying to research if a shrimp and a goby can be mixed, or if its a choice between a coral and a shrimp right before I saw your response. It appears most shrimp are either too peaceful and get eaten, or too aggressive and are the eaters.

The peppermint and coral banded are gorgeous, but coral banded gets.. rather large I read here, and that's bad :\

BTW: I think this place is just awesome, how much you offer help to us newbies to fishing. It's great to see the tank I want isnt impossible and can actually be dne, not to be told " You need a bigger tank go buy a 10-20 gallon" when I just can't afford that and the cost of fish.

I'm loving the tanks there, especially the one on that thread.
perfectblue
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.15(Sun)22:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see you became a member at nano-reef. Very Happy

55 gallon saltwater tank

Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: