Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Angels shivering with clamped fins
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Slangl6238
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.14(Sat)12:29    Post subject: Angels shivering with clamped fins Reply with quote

Hi, I have 3 tanks here are the water parimeters

amm = 0.0
nitrte = 0.0
nitrate = 10-15
temp = 78 - 80
pH = 7.0

I have angels, a few guppies, ottos, bristlenose, and cories.

All the problems are just with the angels. All other fish are doing great.

I got 6 new angels in on tuesday and put them in one tank. I do about 2 30% water changes a week using the python method, and have never had a problem until recently. Yesterday I did a 20% water change in each tank, added prime water conditioner, and now all the angels in the three tanks, and only the angels, have clamped fins. Some of them act like they are shivering, like making quick sudden shorten movements. Should I be using something other than prime water conditioner? I added melafix for a precaution, but it happened in all 3 tanks. Is it possible to overdose the prime? Does anyone know what the shivering means? Last week the angels that I did have had open and beautiful fins and now they are clamped. Also, in my 46 gal tank I have a AC70 and an eihm 2213 filter running, could that be a problem? Is it possible for water conditioner to get outdated? How would fish react if it had chlorine poising? Is it safe to put more water conditioner in than specified? I really need advice.

Thanks
Sahara22588
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.14(Sat)19:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never had such a problem with Prime before. I've accidentally overdosed it before but there haven't been severe reactions to it. Chlorine poisoning usually leads to red gills and rapid breathing (since chlorine bascially burns their gills) but clamped fins may happen, too. Is there a possibility it could be a problem that came with the fish? Is it possible all the fish were sick when you bought them??

Byez! Very Happy
Greatwhite
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.14(Sat)20:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your fish seems to have symptoms of New Tank Syndrome. This is a combo of ammonia and Nitrite poisoning, and is caused when there is a sudden increase in Ammonia or Nitrite. Angels are also very delicate fish, and come into shock really easily. My advice is to go out and buy some AmQuel. This will rid your tanks of Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, Chlorine and Chloraminnes. This is probably the best idea. I would also check up on the water quality that Angels require. In a while, this will go away iif the water is corrected. Cool
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: