Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Exact species?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Enlighter
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.14(Sat)0:01    Post subject: Exact species? Reply with quote

Got this guy today, and they wheren't sure exactly what he was. He is a butterfly ------ name escapes me.

Here are the links to the pics. (they are BIG pics)

http://ducttapecowboy.com/Fish004.jpg

http://ducttapecowboy.com/Fish03.jpg

Thanks in advance.
ariaanna
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.14(Sat)0:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

butterfly loach, methinks. otherwise known as hillstream loaches.

http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_hillstream.php (probably a different species, but that can give you a little start for information)

I understand they require fast-moving water. I really wanted to get a small group of them, but decided against it since none of the other fish I have really like fast moving water. good luck with them!
Enlighter
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.14(Sat)0:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep butterfly loach. Been looking for one for a while now and I noticed him/her sitting on the bubbler in the LFS, in a tank with some pleco's. The guys there didn't know exactly what it was but I was pretty sure it was the butterfly loach. Also that info is great. I can't wait to add my driftwood piece for him.

Thanks for the link.
Josh Hansen
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.14(Sat)4:22    Post subject: Fish Reply with quote

The fish is derfinitely a hillstream loach or another name they are called is Borneo suckers. Remember they not algae eaters but they eat food similar to a catfiah such as cories. They do not need fast current water to survive they just come from the same fast stream enviroment as dianos do. Check them out in the age of aquarium fish gallery.

Have fun with the fish.

from Josh
Glitch
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.14(Sat)7:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Josh Hansen
Remember they not algae eaters but they eat food similar to a catfiah such as cories.

Umm No they most definitely eat algae if they are a Chinese hillstream loach. I have one, and he is doing a very good job of cleaning the algae off of the glass in my 55g. So I don't know where you heard that but its not entirely true. I'm not saying its wrong because I have not tried to feed him that way, so I don't know if they'd eat that as well as the algae or not.
Josh Hansen
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.14(Sat)8:26    Post subject: Hill stream loach Reply with quote

Sure the fish will eat algae but the fish does need requirement of similar food as a cory for its survival needs and not to be treated as a algae eater fish such as a whiptail.

from Josh
Glitch
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.14(Sat)8:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I'll have to go back into research mode and see what I can find out. The last time I looked all I could find was 'they eat algae' if you have any sites or books I could Referance I would totaly appreciate it Josh Smile

Glitch
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.05.14(Sat)9:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've heard(never kept these as I don't have a river tank) they don't eat much algae but rather the critters living in it. Try frozen bloodworms, small pellets, etc. etc.
ariaanna
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.15(Sun)18:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahhh...... after months of waiting for hillstream loaches (I think the fish store keeps forgetting that I wanted some) I finally found some

at walmart.

for 1.84. they just came in, so they haven't really had time to suffer the horrible tank conditions there, and none of the employees on duty had ANY idea what they were, so they charged me for the cheapest thing in the same tank as they (because I was so cute.)

I'm delighted, now I have a small shoal of hillstream loaches scurrying about my 55! yayyyy!!!!!!!! Very Happy
Glitch
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.15(Sun)18:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way Cool ariaanna, I really like watching mine.

As I said I would, I did more on-line research and found that most sites list them as omnivores eating everything from algae (sometimes listed as primary food, always listed First) to small frozen foods like brine shrimp and daphnia (listed as left overs from feeding tank mates).

Thats all I could find so far, now I'll have to look for books to see if they differ at all.

As always... Enjoy (the hobby)

Glitch
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: