Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
any1 got a good expereince with this?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LOgan SLOgan
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.13(Fri)22:36    Post subject: any1 got a good expereince with this? Reply with quote

I bought some ick medication called Liquid Super Ick Cure
Did any of you hava a good expereince with this?

Logan
Susan Wright
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.13(Fri)23:33    Post subject: Re: any1 got a good expereince with this? Reply with quote

LOgan SLOgan wrote:
I bought some ick medication called Liquid Super Ick Cure
Did any of you hava a good expereince with this?

Logan

I personally never tried it, but most ick meds work fine. Just follow directions on bottle. Make sure you remove any carbon out of the filter. Raise your temp to around 80 degrees slowly and treat at least 10 days to make sure you get all of it on the fish as well as the substrate and such. If you have any sensitive fish use it half strength.
LOgan SLOgan
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.14(Sat)9:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

ya I'm one step ahead of you but the last stuff I bought I treated for a long time and when I stopped, it came back.
Susan Wright
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.14(Sat)10:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOgan SLOgan wrote:
ya I'm one step ahead of you but the last stuff I bought I treated for a long time and when I stopped, it came back.

What are your water temps normally, the parasite will live longer in cooler water. The warmer temp makes their life cycle quicker and treating for ten days will usually get rid of all of it, on the fish and in the tank. I use salt most of the time to treat ich. Do a search on the forum for treating ich and you can come up with all the different approaches for treatment. In my tank which is 75g I put 1 teaspoon salt per gal of water, when treatment is done I do a major water change to get rid of most of the salt.
Susan Wright
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.14(Sat)10:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a very good article on ich: It explains the life cycle, treatment and prevention of ich. It is one of the best that I have read.

http://www.aquamaniacs.net/forum/cms_view_article.php?aid=27

Marcos : This might make a good addition to the article section if we can get permission since there is always questions on the forum about ich.
LOgan SLOgan
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.14(Sat)11:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

my water temp is uasully around 26 degrees because I got balas(there small and I do plan on getting bigger tank) but I've turn it up to 30 degrees so it will kill the ick and I put two airstones in for more oxygen and I took out the carbon and I'm gonna clean it tomorrow. thanks for the article ill post again after a day or two.

Oh and do you now if plecos have scales?

Logan
Susan Wright
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.14(Sat)19:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am glad the article helped. Glad I could be of some assistance.
LOgan SLOgan
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.15(Sun)21:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if it was in this book I read or the article you sent me but one of them said(it could of bin both) that ick dies above tempatures of 26 C. I was wandering if you kn ow what stage this would effect them? or is this not true?

And I heard that there are mother cells that start and reproduce the daughter cells and they and can't be killed by medications. does that mean you just keap treating until they lived there lifespan?

Logan
Susan Wright
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.15(Sun)22:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the article
With the warmer temps the life span of ich is 7 days. The adult ich is when you see the white spots on the fish. the 2nd stage is when they drop off and while in the gravel or whatever is when they are multiplying.(at this stage is when most people don't see them and think that it is eliminated but at this stage is the hardest to kill. In the 3rd stage during the pupae stage is when they are the easiest to kill. That is when you want the med in the tank. This is the reason why you treat for at least ten days, to go through all three stages.

The raising of the temp is basically speed up the life cycle so it is faster to rid the tank of ich. In cooler water it just takes more time.

The temp isn't what kills the ich, its the meds and the water changes that you do that rids your tank of the parasite.
LOgan SLOgan
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.15(Sun)23:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry about that post I should of done more research. I found out that at one of the stages they do poorly in high temp. sorry about that.
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: