Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Bio-Spira, Bettas and DPs
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
in stereo
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.13(Fri)2:21    Post subject: Bio-Spira, Bettas and DPs Reply with quote

Alright, so I managed to screw up fishless cycling with pure ammonia and today I purchased a packet of Bio-Spira out of pure necessity before I ended up killing my bettas from having trouble keeping up with 5 tanks to do 100% changes in.

Here's where all my newbie questions come in...

1. On the way home my packet of Bio-Spira got kind of 'warm' so I had to stop off, get a cup of ice and pack in it that until I got home to re-refridgerate it. I'd say it was out of the LFS's fridge for about 20 minutes until I packed it in a cup of ice, then it was another 10-15 minutes until I got it into the fridge. Is it still good or did I just waste $15 because I forgot to bring a insulated lunch box and ice to keep it cold?

2. I read somewhere (can't find the link now to save my life) that it's best to add the Bio-Spira 24 hours after adding the fish - that way the bacteria have ammonia to feed on, or so the page said. True or false? Since it's already too late to add it right now is there any harm in going with that 'method'?

3. My boyfriend and I both want DPs - would it be wise to use Bio-Spira with 5 of them in a 10 gal. or should I try my hand at fishless cycling again?
haname
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.05.13(Fri)8:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bio Spira is designed so that you add it at the same time you add all your fish, in a freshly setup system. Follow the directions on the package, or at the Marineland site.

What are DPs?

~Haname
LittleMousling
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.13(Fri)9:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

DPs=Dwarf Puffers.

Instead of Biospira or fishless cycling, I'd use seeded filter media. Just add extra media to one (or more) of your other tanks for a few weeks, then switch it into the new tank once the puffers are in.
haname
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.05.13(Fri)11:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

Forgot to mention... your Biospira is probably still good, as long as it wasn't exposed to excessive heat. I would suggest a 100% water change first if you haven't done that after trying the fishless cycle with ammonia.

Also, when you add fish with biospira, the fish immediately start releasing ammonia into the water so the biospira has an energy souce from the beginning. If you follow Marineland's directions, you should be fine.

~Haname
in stereo
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.13(Fri)11:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...I did the 100% change in both the 5 gallons that I was trying to cycle, but I've already added a betta to each of the 5 gals as well as my boyfriend's mothers fish to her new 10 gallon late yesterday after-noon/last night. She has 2 cardinal tetras, 1 bloodfin tetra (one of them died already) and 2 cory cats.

Should I do 100% changes again and then add them and the Bio-Spira or just add it now?
haname
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.05.13(Fri)14:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd probably do the water changes, only because Biospira is supposed to be put in at the same time with the fish.

~Haname
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: