Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Co2 injection for a 20gal?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Enlighter
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.13(Fri)0:39    Post subject: Co2 injection for a 20gal? Reply with quote

Is it needed? I want to have the tank fully planted at some point seeing as I want to set this tank up nice and keep it running smooth before I move on to another.

Anyway if someone can help me out with the Co2 and fill me in on some stuff I would be more the greatful.

Also trying to find a good 24 hour lighting solution (see my other thread) for this same tank. aga 20h (24"x12"x16")

Any advice is appreciated.
mark 45
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.13(Fri)6:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Is it needed? I want to have the tank fully planted at some point seeing as I want to set this tank up nice and keep it running smooth before I move on to another.

It would really depend on the level of lighting that you decide to go with. Low light tanks will benefit from C02 injection but it is not needed. High light tanks will require you to supplement the C02 as the natual level available within the tank water will not support the the accelerated growth of the plants do to the high light levels. You can have a fully planted tank with either.

Quote:
Anyway if someone can help me out with the Co2 and fill me in on some stuff I would be more the greatful.

C02 can be injected into the tank with either a DIY system that uses yeast and sugar to produce C02 or a pressurized system useing a pressuized tank and regulator assy (I prefer the later).

Quote:
Also trying to find a good 24 hour lighting solution (see my other thread) for this same tank. aga 20h (24"x12"x16")

The 24 hour lighting is really not a big deal as far as plant growth it is more for you. As I already said in your last post, lighting will depend on what kind of plants that you what to grow, low light (up to 2 watt per gal.) or high lighting (3 watts and up per gal.) If you are looking at the high lighting lamp option you might want to consider lamps that are mounted above the tank or on feet slightly above the tank because of the heat they produce (like coralife or formosa) then you would need C02 also and yes you would use a 24" lamp as you question in your other post. If you decide low lamp then a twin FL. would work fine. Either style can produce a great looking setup. Here is an example of a good high lamp setup. click on the formosa JD2
http://www.exoticaquaticsinc.com/shopping/index.htm?catalog.htm&1
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.13(Fri)12:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.

Also another question I see tanks that don't have any tubing going into them or any filters or anything on the top, yet they are fully planted and have fish in them. How is that achieved, out of curiousity. Do people have holes drilled in lower parts of their tank for te filtration, and Co2 injection?
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.13(Fri)13:55    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enlighter wrote:

Also another question I see tanks that don't have any tubing going into them or any filters or anything on the top, yet they are fully planted and have fish in them. How is that achieved, out of curiousity.

In a combination of ways. Some of the tubing may be hidden behind taller background plants, heater hidden behind rocks or driftwood, etc. Some uber high tech setups like some of Amanos use glass or clear tubing.

Also, lots of folks take all of their equipment out of their tanks when photographing. Very Happy

Jake
mark 45
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.13(Fri)14:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are tube fixtures made out of glass, I think they are called lily-pipes or something like that. The water is drawn down into a large filter system under the tank and C02 is injected directly into the filter lines and return to the tank thru another glass output tube. Or the tubes are removed for photo's. Some of the very small tanks do not have a filter and rely on daily 2/3 water changes. I am not sure about the drilled tank theory. Maybe someone else can answer that?
Mark
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.13(Fri)15:21    Post subject: contest photos Reply with quote

While it is not allowed to retouch photos for planted tank contests, it is considered "good form" to make sure that equipment is not seen, either by artful hiding or, more commonly, by removing the equipment for the photos. So, contest submissions will typically have a list attached explaining what equipment was used.
Enlighter
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.13(Fri)23:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool thanks for all the info. I want to change to a canister filter anyway for my 20gal, simply because the noise, and also I love getting creative with tubing. Had a water cooled computer for about a year, and the tubing was invisible unless you turned a uv light on :: )

Anyway guess my next question is going to be what type of canister filter is good for a 20gal. I am actually considering not doing canister because the penguin 200 I have now is amazing, but still when water gets low the noise can be quite bad, and I have roomates to take into consideration.
mark 45
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.14(Sat)6:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

My vote would be a fluval 104, this is what I am useing on my 20gal.
Mark
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.15(Sun)11:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another question about the Co2 injection. How do I get it to go back up the filter tubes? Seems like every Co2 unit has a thing you have to put in the tank that is big and bulky :: (
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.15(Sun)13:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

Running CO2 through a filter typically doesn't give the best results but it can be done. What kind of filter do you have?

Jake
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: