Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Too much water conditioner??
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
h4l
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.12(Thu)21:52    Post subject: Too much water conditioner?? Reply with quote

Hi,

I've always wondered if it is possible to put too much water conditioner in? - I use both Wardley's Tri-Start and Sera Aquatan (which smells).

I use 9.6 litre buckets to refil the tank after cleaning, once filled they hold about 9 litres of water. Tri-Start reccomend 5 drops per 20 litres, so I usually put 3 in the 1st bucket, and 2 in the 2nd bucket.

Every second week I use Sera Aquatan at the same doses above, the only difference between the two is the Aquatan smells and is blue.

Can I overdose on water conditioner? - say if I mistakenly put 5-10 drops in a bucket?.

Also the aquatan says it helps with stress so somtimes I 3-5 drops straight into the tank, usually when I add new fish - is this okay/bad/good?

Aaron
Darkblade48
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.13(Fri)7:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

IME, I never really measured out the amount of water conditioner that extremely, it was kind of a "pour it out and eyeball it so that it seems about correct" measurement.

I would imagine that a few extra drops (we might be talking a few mL at best, probably) wouldn't do much harm. I wouldn't advise trying to pour in litres of the stuff though Very Happy
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.13(Fri)7:43    Post subject: Re: Too much water conditioner?? Reply with quote

h4l wrote:
Can I overdose on water conditioner? - say if I mistakenly put 5-10 drops in a bucket?.

It really depends on the product, you might want to check the documentation to see if it is safe to overdo it. I'm not familiar with either of the products you use, but I know that some products can't be oversdosed, like Prime, while others like Bio-Safe strongly recommend that you don't.

Another thing that might be helpful is to pick up a syringe with mililiter graduations. I purchased one for measuring out plant fertilizer, but have found it very helpful for adding medications and water treatment products as well. Typically, products come with a ml dosing recommendation (most I've seen are some unit of 5 ml, which is roughly a teaspoon)- having a syringe (mine is one of the ridiculoulsy large ones that was marketed for feeding domesticated birds) makes it much easier.

Jake
h4l
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.13(Fri)21:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice Very Happy

The products have no information on overdosing or anything like that? - oh well I might get a syringe to measure, good idea.

benedictj - What water conditioner to do you use?, have you tried a few and decided on one?

Aaron
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.13(Fri)22:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stuff on sale is always nice Very Happy

Seriously though...

Up until about a month ago, I had been using Aqua Pharm's Tap Water Conditioner, which is just a generic chloramine and heavy metal treatment. Good Stuff, IMO. I like the fact that it serves only one purpose, no nitrate reduction, no ammonia converter. Just plain and simple. It gives me confidence (god this is begining to sound like a deodorant commerical)...it gives me confidence that my biofilter is doing its job. IMO, in a cycled tank, you really don't need anything more.

Unfortunatley, I did a water change late one Sunday afternoon not realizing I was out of the stuff, and was forced to go to a sleazy NYC pet store chain and get BioSafe. I can't really say I've had any problems with Bio Safe, but I can say I find it to not be very user friendly.

I do keep a bottle of Prime on hand, just in case I get a mini cycle.

Jake
h4l
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.14(Sat)19:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jake,

The Tri-Start is also a generic water conditioner so I'll just keep using it unless I have any problems.

You say you keep a bottle of Prime handy for mini-cycles? - who makes Prime? (excuse my ignorance) Smile
Darkblade48
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.15(Sun)7:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sea chem makes the product known as Prime Smile
h4l
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.16(Mon)1:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Darkblade Smile

Lastly, does anyone use AmGuard- ArmorGuard, etc?? - is this just for treating breakouts of ammonia?
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: