Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Two Aquariums? One on bottom another on top without a base.
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TimWA
Members

PostPosted: 2003.04.15(Tue)15:33    Post subject: Two Aquariums? One on bottom another on top without a base. Reply with quote

Hi,

I would like to buy a large aquarium, 55+ gallon. I am going to set this up to be a brackish water tank to hold a variety of puffers and a small shoal of archers. I want to have a upper level above the aquarium to place some branches, leaves, etc to place crickets and flies on to allow the archers to have the chance to shoot down there prey. So it would be like another aquarium on top but without a base. Does anyone have any ideas on this? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Tim
The_B
Members

PostPosted: 2003.04.15(Tue)19:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure if what your talking about its posissble. You could make a paludarium, which is a tank with part of it out of the water so land creatures like frogs and salamanders can live in it. I think this type of setup would work for the archers.
Huntress
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.04.15(Tue)20:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the Tank of the Month section. There is a wonderful palaudarium in there. It is exactly what you are looking for.
dan
Regulars

PostPosted: 2003.04.16(Wed)21:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have thought about doing this also, my idea was to build a wood box on top of the aquarium like a canopy only taller and for the front side (veiwing area) have two sliding glass doors like they have on those locked display counters at stores. This would give good access to the inside without being to deep to reach into.
TimWA
Members

PostPosted: 2003.04.17(Thu)6:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds like an interesting idea. I wonder if the wood would run into problems with water vapor and/or evaporation. Having the sliding doors would be excellent otherwise if you have to reach through two, you would need some long arms Shocked
Irons
Moderators

PostPosted: 2003.04.17(Thu)9:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is from the photo section here of someone who did a palliadum:
http://www.aquahobby.com/board/viewtopic.php?t=731

This this is from an aquascaping contest:
http://showcase.aquatic-gardeners.org/?&op=ishowcase&category=3&vol=-1

Prebuilt cabinets... (ooohhh.... SHINY!!!)
http://www.paludarium.at/esterbauer/

It can be done. Just about how and how much $$.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
darrkgod
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.04.17(Thu)10:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

there might be a problem with a yellow colored tanic acid from the wood.
I know it ca be a problem with using driftwood. I don't know if using other wood such as pine would differ or not.

as per http://www.cichlidrecipe.com/cichlidrecipe/crp5.htm
TimWA
Members

PostPosted: 2003.04.22(Tue)8:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I found a different thread on hear that gave a good site for building an acrylic tank. I wonder if I could just build an acrylic box for half my tank. One worry would be the box not having enough support since there is no top or base. But I could run some support acrylic beams across which would also be good maybe for possible plant fixtures. Any ideas on this?
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: