Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Lighting fixtures?
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Enlighter
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.11(Wed)23:14    Post subject: Lighting fixtures? Reply with quote

Got the standard AGA hood with my 20gal (24"x12"x17" tank) I bought a bulb that promotes photosynthesis today, but its bigger then the whole lighting fixture. The hood takes 18" bulbs which I did not realize.

Anyway further research suggests that for a fully planted tank I need to upgrade the lighting fixture. So any suggestions as to that would be much appreciated.

I am not sure if I need a 24" (actually 25") fixture or the 20" (actually 21")

One is an inch over the edge and one seems to small. Anyway if anyone can fill me in as I continue to research this I would be much appreciated.

Going with the 20 is prolly the best answer, but maybe not.

Thanks in advance.
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.11(Wed)23:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a heavily planted standard 20g with 15watt or 18" floro and no co2 injections or anything special, just added an underdose of fertilizer once a week or so. my plants thrived especialy my amazon sword(that made some babbies) and my hygrophillia which I was trimming regularly. I also had dwarf anubias and some other plants and a piece of driftwood. very healthy setup.

the amount of light you will need depends on the type of plants you keep. a 15watt floro will be fine for several species of plants. though some other plants need stronger lighting, co2 injection and for some specialized substrate.

andrew
2 winged demons
Enlighter
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.11(Wed)23:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the 24 hour lights that simulate daylight dawn/dusk and moonlight.

Is that more a gimmick or is it really something that encourages the full lifecycles?

I would love to be able to see my fish at night to see what they are up too.

Any recomendations on those set ups?
mark 45
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.12(Thu)6:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will assume the you have a standard AGA 20 gal. tall style aquarium with the standard plastic hood assy. The first thing I would do is get rid of the plastic hood assy. and purchace a glass versa top lid (get the one made for the twin lamp lights, this will allow you to install a slightly wider lamp) it will probably have to be special ordered from your lfs, you can get the part# from the all glass web site. Next you could upgrade your striplight to a aga twin FL lamp assy (2x15 watt) this would let you grow low light plants only. All Glass also has a CF 24" lamp @ 55watts this would allow a wider variety of plants and probabaly require C02 injection. There is of course a wide variety of 24" CF lamps made by other manufacturers. If you do not want to get into C02 injection I would recomend a low light planted tank.

Mark
Enlighter
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.12(Thu)13:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info. I will see if they have any of those hoods when I go tommorow.
mark 45
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.12(Thu)13:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enlighter,
The part# for a twin tube 24" versa-top is 29350. It is normally a special order piece, but they are much more funtional the the standard versa-tops.
Here is a link.
http://www.all-glass.com/products/hoods/index.html
Mark
Enlighter
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.13(Fri)0:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do eventually want to have a fully planted tank, so I am thinking I will prolly need heavier duty lighting. Maybe not though?

I am liking the 24 hour lights more and more now, but still not sure as to what size light to get if I get a new strip. I know the aga 20g one will fit, but the other ones aren't done by tank size they are done by inches. And its the same dilema. The 24" are actually 25" and the 20" seem like they would be too small and awkward?
 Forum Index > Chemistry and Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: