Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Fin rot...
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amy9545
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.11(Wed)21:44    Post subject: Fin rot... Reply with quote

I need some help.

I believe my betta has fin rot. He currently resides in a 10 gallon with 3 black tetras and a kissing gourmi (they will be getting a new tank soon).

I have a box of Fungus Clear Tank Buddies made by Jungle Labs...which are these tablets you drop into the water. Each table treats 10 gallons...and its supposed to cure things like fin rot, fungus, hemorrhagic septicemia, and clamped fins.

Now my question is...is it safe to drop it in with the other fish still inside the tank? I have no where else to put them. And although I do have a 5 gallon, these tabs treat 10 so I would be over medicating if I just moved the betta, right?

Please help!
Amy
know_NOTHING
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.11(Wed)21:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I don't know much, BUT couldn't you just move your Betta to the 5 gal and drop in half of one of the tablets that treats 10 gallons?

Ben
Susan Wright
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.11(Wed)22:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you sure its fin rot, and not a case of fin nipping? In my opinion you may just have a stressful situation there with the kissing guarami. I have had kissing guarami's before and they were pretty good at nipping fins of the other fish.

I would also say that the tank is too small for the guarami that you have, so he is probably staking his territory. They actually need a lot larger tank than what you have.
~sunshine~
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.14(Sat)15:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a nasty case of fin rot, and it cleared up just fine with a wonderful product called salt. Put the recomended amout of salt in your aquarium. It should tell you how much to put in on the side of the carton. Also, do salt dips. This is how a salt dip works: First, take a large disposable cup. Put in about two cups of your aquarium water. Put in only one-half TEASPOON of salt for the first time. Put in one TEASPOON any treatment after that. Leave the fish in for two minutes. It is normal if he floats on his side, fot he not used to the bouency. Also, don't put the salty water back in your tank. Do this once or twice a day, but take care for this is a lot of stress on the fish and you probably only want to do it once a day. Iit should take a couple of days for the disease to clear up. You can tell when its cleared up when whitish looking stuff on their fin goes away. If you don't see the whitish stuff on your fish's fins, then you can tell when it goes away for his fins will stop getting worse. It takes a very long time for the fin to grow back. It's normal if the fin grows back clear and the re-gains it's color. If you have treated for a long time (I would call a week a long time) and you are not getting any results, perhaps your other fish are nipping his fins. Kissing gouramis can be pretty nasty about that. You may have to re-locate the fish and get the gourami a tank companion of his own size, such as another kissing gourami. Good luck with treatment! Luckily, fin rot is relatively easy to treat and it sould clear up pretty soon. Just take care not to let the fin rot get past his fins and start rotting away at his body. This can actually kill them. Good luck!!!
Susan Wright
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.14(Sat)19:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not put another kissing guarami into a 10 gal tank, as it is the one is basically to big for the tank. They do get big, Hope you are planning on upgrading your tank for the one.
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: