Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Dang it! stupid algae.
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hooby
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.11(Wed)19:08    Post subject: Dang it! stupid algae. Reply with quote

I have a 30g planted tank. I have quite a few plants that are being over run by beard alge. The closer to the surface the plants are, the more alge it has on it. I use phos-x in my filter to remove phosphate, nitrate, and nitrite. This alge seems to be stunting the growth of my plants. Is there a fish I can get that will eat this paticular type of alge or will I need to wash my plants in hydrogen peroxide to rid this unsightly pest.

pH 6.4
KH 3
temp 81 degrees
Ihabitants: 15 neon tetras, 1 gold Guarmi, 2 striped raphael, 3 blue flame tetras?(not sure what theses are called), 1 common pleco.

P.S. I apologize for my lousy spelling
Darkblade48
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.11(Wed)20:54    Post subject: Reply with quote

What kind of plants do you have in your aquarium? What kind of lighting do you have? How long do you keep your lights on per day? Are you following a regular fertilization routine? What are the exact levels of your NO3 and PO4? Finally, are you injecting any CO2?

If you say "no" to the last question, I will find it extremely suspicious, as according to Chuck's calculator (found here: http://www.csd.net/~cgadd/aqua/art_plant_co2chart.htm) , you have something like 35 ppm of CO2 with the KH and the pH you have measured.

Edit: Fixing the URL
Hooby
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.11(Wed)21:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

I installed the do it yourself method of Co2. I have set up a dual compact florecent lighting fixture pumping approximatly 90w total. It probly cost me 15 dollars. I cheaped out on the lighting so the lights aren't exactly for plants but it does the trick. The lights are on a timer, 11 hours on 13 hours off. I would say my tank would be heavily planted if the growth wasn't stunted by this algae. Funny thing is is that the only algae that grows is "beard algae" there is no sign of any othe types.

My plants are as follows:

water wisteria
java fern
golden moneywort
African water fern
Rubra water lily
Brazilian Pennywort
Lobilia
Dwarf Hair Grass
Rex Grigg
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.12(Thu)6:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, we really need more details on this lighting system that you have. What is the color temp of the bulbs?

I find it very hard to believe you can get 90 watts of CF light for ~$15. Are these spiral bulbs?

Also you state you are using Phos-X to remove phosphates and nitrates. Do you have extremely high levels of these nutrients? Are you aware that plants need these nutrients to live?

Algae is caused by your nutrients being out of balance. Most people with 3 wpg tanks add nitrates and phosphates. Are you adding any nutrients at all? I doubt the algae is stunting the growth of your plants but I really suspect that the lack of nutrients is.

Read my Guide to planted tanks at:

Semper Fi
Enlighter
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.17(Tue)23:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clean up crew.

ghost shrimp
SAE's

and your problem should slowly disappear and stay that way as long as these guys are present.

I had an algee issue in one of my older tanks I added 8 ghost shrimp and a school of SAE's and the problem was soon non existant. Once gone though start feeding the crew algee tablets, or somethign similar

BTW I am curious about your lighting set up. 15 bucks? How long has the tank been active? And have the plants been growing under this lighting solution?
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: