Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Figure 8 Puffer - is my tank size adequate?!
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
devilfish
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.11(Wed)10:44    Post subject: Figure 8 Puffer - is my tank size adequate?! Reply with quote

I only have a 10 gallon tank (37.9L). Would it be suitable for ONE F-8 Puffer and no other fish. I love the puffers... but I don't want to get a new tank nor do I want to "abuse" my puffer.

Thank you for you help!

-devilfish

P.S. I just read the "Position on stunting, stocking etc..." and I have a feeling people are not gonna be happy with my post... please don't kill me Shocked
elTwitcho
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.11(Wed)11:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really. They won't get too big (3 inches) but they're pretty active and a 10 gallon isn't much space. You'd be better off with a 20 gallon, or better yet a 20 long
Mogwai
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.05.11(Wed)12:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Devilfish - it would be a fab tank for some pygmy puffers though - much easier to keep as they do not require brackish water like the F8s.
Psyfalcon
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.11(Wed)12:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it would be too bad. Of course a bigger tank is (almost) always better, but the 10 should hold 1 F8 fine. To keep it from being bored, either plants or rock should be used liberally (depending on salinity) so it can explore around.

There are also some brackish snails I've heard of, and of course ghost shrimp that would provide hunting opratunities and prevent boredome. From what I understand, they like to swim around and pick at things (like snails) rather than swimming circles around a tank like a zebra danio; so the room to explore is probably more important than pure swimming space.

But, yes, dwarf puffers are smaller, not brackish, and can live with other dwarf puffers, so you could have around 5 or so, if they decide to get along.
JeremyL
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.11(Wed)16:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Psyfalcon, I would think that a 10 gallon would be adequate, as long as you have the correct water peramteres...
Make sure to vary their diet...they need something to dull their teeth.
ariaanna
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.11(Wed)21:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a red eye puffer in a ten (with a very small catfish keeping her company) and they've been very happy like that for well over a year. just make sure there are enough things for it to explore and hide in...... my little girl has disappeared among the rocks of my tank many times, only to seemingly pop up out of nowhere when I walk up with some food.

but figure 8's may be significantly more active than red eyes, so don't take that testimony as gospel that you can keep ANY 3 inch puffer in a ten.........

oh, and an up about red eye puffers- they're freshwater, so you can have a planted tank. (and if you accidentally get some snails in with the plants, as long as they're not malaysian trumpet snails, your puffer has some tasty snacks! Very Happy )
JeremyL
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.14(Sat)1:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm not mistaken I've seen HUGE red-eyed puffers at Big Al's...about 4-4.5"!
ariaanna
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.14(Sat)20:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

^there are two species of freshwater puffers called red eyes..... one gets slightly larger and is more aggressive..... I'm fairly certain I have the smaller, less agressive one, since she's under 3 inches and over a year old.

I actually have her very happily kept in a guppy/puffer/catfish 10 gallon (south american bumblebee cat, only about 3", I've had that guy for over two years now.)

carinotetraodon irrubesco versus c. lorteti

online, there are a lot of varying accounts, but it seems like most people agree they'll be between 2 and 3 inches fully grown. a lot of people recommend a 20 gallon tank, but I think they're expecting one to put more than one puffer in there, as other people (www.pufferlist.com) say at least 5 gallons. I suppose it depends greatly on maintenance, as well.

but my little girl seems to be doing quite well and is thriving even though I've moved her and she's been attacked by a bird a few times (my friend's cockatiel doesn't understand that things live IN the fish tanks, he thinks they're their for his perching pleasure and gets angry whenever he sees something moving in them....)

if you feel I'm wrong, feel free to tell me and explain why, but given that all the fish in that tank are thriving, I'm probably not going to change it much if at all.
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: