Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Silver Dollar question(s)
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlchavez21
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.11(Wed)8:18    Post subject: Silver Dollar question(s) Reply with quote

Well, These questions probably aren't vital to the survival of my fish, but in my quest for knowledge, I thought I would ask. I just recently purchased four Silver Dollars. At first, I only had one. (For about 2 days) He was EXTREMELY timid and would never come out of the back corner of the tank. I attributed this to him not having any buddies to hang out with. So, after about two days I purchased 3 more. My first Silver $ has a dark stripe running from the top to bottom of his eye. Of the other three that I bought, one of them has a very light one, but the other two don't have the stripe at all. Also, the smallest of the four is a different shade of silver from the rest, but he is also much smaller right now. They were all purchased under the supposed same name: Metynnis argenteus. So, are these differences a part of age difference or were one or more of these Silver $'s mislabeled? I am most curious about the one that is a different shade of silver in that regard. Also, even now that they are all together, (they stay pretty close most of the time) they all seem to be very timid. I have read that Silver $'s are just timid fish, but is there anyway to get them to be less antisocial? One more question: has anybody come up with a good way to feed these guys yet? I've put cucumber in the tank and it has been partially eaten (althgough I did not watch it happen) and they also eat the sinking spirulina pellets I feed the loaches. If anyone has tips on this matter too that would be great. Thanks
haname
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.05.11(Wed)13:32    Post subject: Re: Silver Dollar question(s) Reply with quote

jlchavez21 wrote:
is there anyway to get them to be less antisocial?

More silver dollars if you have the space, and plenty of cover at the water's surface to give them some shade.

Quote:
One more question: has anybody come up with a good way to feed these guys yet? I've put cucumber in the tank and it has been partially eaten (althgough I did not watch it happen) and they also eat the sinking spirulina pellets I feed the loaches. If anyone has tips on this matter too that would be great. Thanks

Try Omega One Super Veggie flakes for a staple diet, and also try finely chopped spinach, zucchini wedges, skinned chopped peas, any other green veggies, plus try some dried kelp sold for marine fish. If you can grow some duckweed or other pond plants in a separate tank, you could have a constant supply of fresh natural for them.

~Haname
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: