Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Creating a 10gal coral tank?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Enlighter
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.11(Wed)0:16    Post subject: Creating a 10gal coral tank? Reply with quote

Wanting to make a 10gal hex coral tank with 2 clown fish and possibly a shrimp or 2.

I know about the live rock and sand, would love to hear recomendations for both. I am going with the Eheim compact 300 powerhead pump (possibly 2), and the hydor theo 50w heater.

Now as far as other things needed? What else is needed to make this a happy coral tank? The live rock/sand acts as a filter along with weekly water changes. Is anything else needed such as additives, some other machine, or something?

I will only be keeping hardy corals at first to get the hang of gorwing them, and keeping the tank alive and happy, but I am pretty serious about this so any advice would be appreciated.

I am going to purchase the tank and some other things tommorow I think.

Thanks in advance for any advice and warnings.
Enlighter
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.11(Wed)0:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also is an RO system worth it? I was reading up on them, and given I want to eventually have a fairly serious coral system would purchasing one be worth it?

The tap water here is less then trustworthy and I am more then willing to invest the money in an RO unit if they really do a good job for this type of aquarium set up.
aurther_dent2001
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.11(Wed)9:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enlighter wrote:
Also is an RO system worth it? I was reading up on them, and given I want to eventually have a fairly serious coral system would purchasing one be worth it?

The tap water here is less then trustworthy and I am more then willing to invest the money in an RO unit if they really do a good job for this type of aquarium set up.

If you can afford it, certainly. Otherwise some people recomment using tap water for water changes and store bought RO/DI water for top off. But depends on how good your tap water is. But all said RO/DI gives you the best quality.
TheVillageIdiot
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.11(Wed)10:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

maybe just ONE clown in that 10 gallon, unless they are going to be a mated pair...
Enlighter
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.11(Wed)12:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to have a pair of them unless thats inhumane to have 2 in a 10gal?
TheVillageIdiot
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.11(Wed)13:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

they'll fight, one will dominate the other leaving him stressed... if you have to have 2, make sure you get a mated pair!
Enlighter
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.11(Wed)15:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do. Also I didn't know that about them I am still reading up on them and their behavior. They always seemed like a very social fish that liked company, but that does not seem to be the case.

Also firefish caught my eye. I know saltwater tanks can't take as many fish as freshwater, so I assume for a 10gal 1 fish is prolly the max and then a cleanup crew to handle any unwanted algee etc etc, and then the corals.

Or would a firefish, and clownfish combo work for a 10gal?

I certainly don't want to crowd them seeing as the 10gal is allready somewhat small for the clown. I know they do like to swim, but also stay close to their homes.
TheVillageIdiot
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.11(Wed)15:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

given that it's a coral tank, I'd stick w/ one fish, either the clown or the fire fish will do... the fire fish is neat as they just like to "chill" in the water column and dine on little guys in the water... clown fish are cool too, what type are you considering?
Enlighter
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.11(Wed)21:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back from the LFS and was talking about different fish. Would prolly go with a bigger tank. And possibly have a gobby (the one that chills with the blind crab), or a black (maroon clown), or purple/yellow firefish.
TheVillageIdiot
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.12(Thu)6:29    Post subject: Reply with quote

the one that chills is a watchman gobby, if you can get a shrimp that has "bonded" w/ the gobbie then you are a lucky individual and will have hours of enjoyment watching their symbiotic relationship... good luck!

imo, go w/ a bigger tank, a 30 gallon or even a 40 is generally a good starting size, but also get a 10 gallon for quaranteen.
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: