Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
cloudy water it seems
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tongueteaser22
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)22:06    Post subject: cloudy water it seems Reply with quote

hi all I have a 55 gallon tank (freshwater) I use 2 power filters with double filter carts. 1 power filter on each side and the water is still cloudy even after doing a water change, (also use start right) when setting up the tank and with every water change. How can I solve this cloudy water problem?? Please someone help give me some ideas I hate seeing the water like it is, the fish are so awsome to see.
jlchavez21
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.11(Wed)8:37    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I don't claim to be an expert at this--I'm a newbie myself--but I have had a cloudy water problem before. From what I've been told, it happens when one type of bacteria gets out of balance from the others. So, unless your power filters have a Bio-wheel or some other bioogical filtration they won't do much for you, and water changes can even hurt the problem by removing any good bacteria that might be in the water. Biological filtration is probably the most important for your tank. When I had cloudy water I was told to go to a fish store (or a friend with a healthy tank) and ask for a hadful of gravel from an established aquarium. This gravel will have lots of good bacteria that will quickly spread once added to your tank. Most places usually won't even charge you for the gravel. Once I added the good gravel to my tank, the cloudiness was completely gone in about a day or so. You should also try to get some way of biological filtration to help keep the problem from coming back. I use a Marineland Bio-Wheel power filter and a UGF. I know a lot of people bash the UGF's but if you clean regularly they add good bio filtration. Anyway, I hope some of this info helps, and I would hope that if I have mis-spoken someone will kindly correct me so we can all know more.
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.11(Wed)9:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

To start with, there is a gigantic thread on this already on the board, it can probably assit you greatly in straightening this out- it is here

Typically, it is caused by a nutrient imbalance in an uncylced tank. Ammonia and nitrites are too plentiful for your nitrifying bacterial populations to consume, so photosynthetic bacteria and algae step in to consume them, causing the cloudiness.

Also, one thing about jichavez's comments- Changing your water will not effect your nitrifying bacteria (the good bacteria), as they live on the surfaces in your aquarium and in your filter media for the most part. I would suggest that you start with a good sized water change to help combat the issue.

Then, after reading through the thread above, you'll probably want to evaluate the following things-
-Your ammonia and nitrite levels and the status of your nitrifying bacteria (if you aren't familiar with stuff, read the articles titled 'the nitrogen cycle' in the articles section or search previous posts, or both)
-Evaluate your photocycle (the length of time your lights are on)
-Take a look at the safe start, I've never used it before, but it could be adding phosphates to the water, complicating the issue farther.

Hope that helps

Jake
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: