Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Using your own rocks...
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
brennus
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)21:44    Post subject: Using your own rocks... Reply with quote

...I live in Phoenix Arizona so there are nice rocks I would want to use for my tank... How do I make sure they are okay? I think you are supposed to soak them in vinegar and if they don't bubble, they are okay... I could be wrong, so please help!
Tommy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.05.11(Wed)9:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing as you are from Phoenix, is it possible that your water may be hard and alkaline to start with? If it is, then it doesn't really matter if the local rocks you collect are inert or not. Even if they are not, they won't have much impact on your water.

However, if you are coming from softer lower pH water and you want to be safe and not change that, then you do need to test any collected rocks. I really don't think you have to "soak" them in vinegar though...you should just be able to pour some vinegar on them to watch them sizzle...Another method which I feel is more reliable is to pour some tap water into a bucket let it sit for 24-48 hours then test it for pH, and hardness. Rinse the rocks in question thoroughly of sand and debri and place them in the bucket of water. A few days later test again and see if your results have changed from the original testing.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.11(Wed)17:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right about the water, so I guess I don't need to worry about the rocks, right? Good. Very Happy
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: