Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Platies can jump warning
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Enlighter
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)20:41    Post subject: Platies can jump warning Reply with quote

Had 3 platies in a holding container. One died for no reason. All were perfect then when I turned around 5 minutes later one dead. Then an hour later I feel something on my foot. He had jumped out of the container and onto the floor. The fall or the breathing air has done something to his head and he is unfortunitly doesn't know what is going and and just swims in one direction.

Just wanted to warn people that they can jump :: (
davidk
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)21:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, "no reason". Holding container? Did you just rip them out of their tank and place them in different temp water? Try jumping into the Alaskan ocean after spending a week in the Bahamas.
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)21:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I ripped them out of the warm tank and put them (all 3) into a small cup of ice water.

No the holding container is one of those things you can put into your tank that just seperates them from the other fish if they are being aggressive. And they were being aggressive towards the other smaller fish.

Had I known that moving them would have caused one to die I would most certainly not have done it, but given how hardy of a fish they are I did not see that coming.

Anyway poke fun if you must, just hope that my warning helps someone.
Psyfalcon
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)21:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, those sorts of holding devices do tend to stress the fish. A better option may have been a 5 gallon bucket, with a gallon or 2 of water, as it is much harder to jump from!

No one said anything about ice water, and even at room temp, as I just suggested, if done slowly, should be fine for a platy in the short term atleast.
davidk
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)21:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry I type so short and to the point. Next time I will waste time and type up a long reply so I don't offend anyone. All I asked is if you took them out of their normal water and put them in some other water. I wasnt clear as to what your "holding container" is. Fish jump when stressed. Next time you should put a cover over them Cool
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)21:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's actually a bigger lesson here that has nothing to do with Arctic waters or the like...

Fish jump, they always have and always will. If it's any consolation Enlighter, my first fish were platies (I was around 6) and I lost two to jumping their first night in the tank (which had a circa 1981 cover).

A good rule of thumb is to always cover any temporary housing for your fish with something that allows for the passage of oxygen but keeps them in. Whenever my fish go into their bucket, I cover it with one of those grease gaurd mesh frying pan things reserved solely for that purpose. Cheese cloth works for this as well, as does old window screens, new window screens and the like..

(also- can everyone put on their sensitive tone when posting about the iminent death of someone else's fish?)

Jake
Enlighter
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)22:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh.

BTW david I wasn't offended that was an attempt at a joke by me which clearly didn't go over well haha.

Anyway thanks for all the info. I am actually going out tommorow to buy 2 5g buckets should anything come up in the future.
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: