Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
dead bushy nose pleco
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LOgan SLOgan
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)17:02    Post subject: dead bushy nose pleco Reply with quote

I bought two bushy/bristle nose plecos that were small and probly female and male and they were doing find. I checed them in the morning,still fine then when I come home at 3:00, one of them is lying upside down with his fin missing some of the webbing on his fins. the fish are in a 75 gallon tank with bala sharks small, neon and black tetras one rainbow shark two leopard and 1 zebra danios and a rainbow shark. the pH is around 6.5-6.7 witch is perfectly acceptible for these fish. is it that the rainbow shark is attacking him? or is it that the male killed the female? plez post I want to know what it is Embarassed
LOgan SLOgan
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)21:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never mind it was a new arrival
Greatwhite
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)21:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think your Bala Sharks probably killed him. They're about the same size, and Bala Sharks are known to be territorial to fish their same size. If I were you, I would take the Plecos back, or put them into a different tank. Cool
LOgan SLOgan
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)21:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

well actually the brislte nose and the bala sharks are pretty small Like 2-3 inches long while the britsle nose is like an inch and a quater and my balas gladly school with black tetras that are the same size as the pleco or bigger
tho I don't want to start a giant arguement
Greatwhite
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.12(Thu)7:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry, you aren't. I didn't know how big the fish were, so my bad. Some Balas do school with other fish when they're young. How big is the rainbow shark? Rainbow sharks can be mean and attack similar looking fish that are the same size or smaller. Cool
Jimbob
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.12(Thu)11:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think your Bala Sharks probably killed him

I'd never heard of Bala sharks being a problem, (other than out growing any tank less than six feet long and 500 litres capacity).

I'm not disputing your personal experience, I am genuinely suprised as everything I've read and seen suggests that they are easy going, if a little skittish.
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.12(Thu)12:37    Post subject: Re: dead bushy nose pleco Reply with quote

LOgan SLOgan wrote:
... is lying upside down with his fin missing some of the webbing on his fins

To me, this has all the makings of a water quality/ disease issue and not aggression, probably fin rot. In the event that it were nipping, odds are that the some portion of the 'spine' part of the fins would be missing, not just the membrane.

So, what are your parameters? Also, since it was a new arrival, was the tank you got it out of in decent shape at least in appearance?

Jake
@-McP
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.12(Thu)21:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your fish died for health reasons other fish could have nipped it post mortem. It happens Wink
LOgan SLOgan
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.13(Fri)8:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

the pH is about 6.5 or 6.7 somwhere around there I got rid of the rainbow shark I can't tell you the others yet I might try and get it tested. the fish in the tank came from a very long juorney from someplace. by any chance do plecos have skin/scales?
 Forum Index > Diseases and Disasters All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: