Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
power outage
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jayweb
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)16:58    Post subject: power outage Reply with quote

What do major breeders do if there is a power out. 40-50 tanks and they can't be there all the time so who will flip on the genorator or turn on the tiny week battery pumps. Not alone all the filters. So I guess the major question I'm asking is how long fish gan go with out aration of ANY form. This has not happend yet to me and I olny have three tanks and a battery tank. So what type if any genorators Turn them self on when power outage occores or if they sell induustrel air rators that turn them self on during a power outage.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Honeyrobber
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.11(Wed)14:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

We heated the house with wood heat and many times my tanks went 2 days without filtration or air. When I fed that night I would sometimes us a cup and dip it into the tank and pour it back in from a hieght of about a foot a few times if I noticed a lot of heavy gasping. I never lost a fish because of a power outage but I did not over crowd my tanks either. I had 80 something 10g tanks with all stages of the common livebearers then.
cindywindy
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.11(Wed)15:18    Post subject: Reply with quote

jayweb,

How long fish can survive in hypoxic conditions depends on many factors - how much oxygen content is in the water before the outage, the number of fish present, and even if the aquarium contains live plants or not. Living in South Florida during hurricane season when outages are quite common, this was always a big concern for those of us dodging the yearly storms. For the average hobbyist, having a supply of battery-operated pumps (found at most LFS for about $10 ea) will help a great deal if the outage is short-term, but long-term it is very important to keep the water agitated manually at the surface as described above. The first sign of gasping at the surface indicates a critically low oxygen content and that the fish are experiencing significant respiratory distress in which case an emergency water change to replenish oxygen content may become necessary.
www.tropicalresources.net
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: