Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
zebra cichlids
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
linz85
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)8:52    Post subject: zebra cichlids Reply with quote

hi I have just bought a blue ice zebra and a albino zebra cichlid for my 125. is there any spec requirements for these fish or will they get along fine?the lfs said just be careful but I should be OK. cheers
linzi
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)9:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are referring to the 125 litre tank in your profile. I would have to say get the cichlids out of there. The cichlids that you have put in there will demolish your communty fish.
linz85
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)12:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah I havent updated my profile for a while. in the 125 there is 7 platy's, 2 zebra's,2 kribs,3bosemans rainbow,yoyo loach,red finned shark,male betta and 2 small leopard danios..the platy's are really big and the zebra are babies along with the bosemans.is this OK?
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)20:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to say no, it probably won't be OK. A tank of 125L is not very big in relation to the territory claiming ways of cichlids. What are the measurements of your tank?

I would say you were close to overstocked before the addition of the two zebras. When the zebras begin to mature a war for territory will likely break out.
linz85
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.11(Wed)2:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

the length is 32"
the width is 17"
thr height is 20 1/2"
but this is a sixed sided tank not the standard 4 sided juwel range of 125s.
to tell you the truth the tank actually looks bare, but I'm not an expert lol Smile
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.11(Wed)7:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with dr fosg8, your community fish wouldn't last too long with zebras.

As far as the tank looking bare, how old are the fish? IMHO, you're already pretty overstocked, though it might not appear as such if your fish are still young. Once your boesmani's start growing out, I think you'll see this. Also, the RTBS will porbably get too big for for your tank as well. And finally, if the kribs haven't fully matured and they begin breeding trouble could erupt quickly. Do you know their sexes?

Jake
linz85
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.11(Wed)10:44    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes the kribs are both male and are young.they havent even got "eyes" on their fins yet.all my fish are really small. the woman at the lfs where I bought my tank from said the shark would be OK in my tank as she has one fully grown one in the same size tank?so I'm confuzed Rolling Eyes Confused
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.11(Wed)14:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

linz85 wrote:
the woman at the lfs where I bought my tank from said the shark would be OK in my tank as she has one fully grown one in the same size tank

Generally, most sharks do best in larger tanks, primarily because they need lots of swim space. RTBS optimally should be in a 48" or up tank.

All of this isn't to say that you can't keep it, just that it would be better off in a larger tank. As long as you keep up on water changes, stunting shouldn't be an issue. Also, watch out when he gets older, as they tend to become cantankerous in their old age (especially when they could use more territory).

Jake
linz85
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.12(Thu)9:43    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the help. no I wasnt being arsey I was just saying what she had tolds me.is a red finned shark and red tailed shark the same as I've seen the red tailed one with only a red tail, whereas my red finned one has all red fins?
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.12(Thu)11:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, they're two separate, but closely related species.

And just to chime in - the zebras may seem like good community residents now when they're young and small, but they'll very soon become deadly. Mbuna just aren't community fish - they're extremely aggressive and territorial, and peaceful fish don't stand a chance against them.
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: