Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
freshwater clams?
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ariaanna
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)2:35    Post subject: freshwater clams? Reply with quote

so, I recently discovered aquabid, and I was looking up invertebrates b/c I'd like to have more in my tank than simply fish and plants..... anyways, I found a lot of ads for "Golden Asian Clams" or "Freshwater Clams." I tried searching online and found nothing, so I come to you, in hopes of somebody knowing SOMETHING about these creatures. All the ads said they are filter feeders, and that as long as food hits the bottom, they should be able to eat, but I tend to mistrust ads...... so any advice you can give would be appreciated! Very Happy
invertaman
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)17:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

check out aquahobby.com and they should have what your looking for. I have some FW clams and they seem to be doing fine they are filter feediers so whatever you feeding you fish your feeding them Wink
Veneer
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)18:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

The "golden Asian clam" (Corbicula fluminea) of the aquarium hobby differs from many other freshwater bivalves in that its larvae - hermaphroditically-recruited veligers - are free-living, in contrast to the parasitic glochidea of most freshwater "mussels".

[C. fluminea is androgenetic - that is, sperm containing the entire paternal genome (rather than just half) enters an egg (here, of the same individual), whereupon it "kicks out" the entire maternal genome; all offspring are thus clones of the "father". In addition, there is preliminary evidence that certain disparate species of this genus are capable of "parasitizing" each others' eggs; the sperm cell of one species, upon entering the egg of another, removes the original DNA, forcing the clam to brood the offspring of another species.]

(http://www.bio.utexas.edu/grad/shedtke/Undergrad.html & http://www.bio.utexas.edu/grad/shedtke/Research.html)

A rudimentary care sheet may be viewed here.

A note - some aquarists place C. fluminea in their wet-dry filters, or against the front plane of their aquaria (often with the aid of a plastic strip, as is sold for substrate terracing).
chrisssss
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)19:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently caught some in a ditch near my house.there is a large cluster in my ditch and I'm making an aquarium of local little minows and such.I put sand at te bottom an dteh clams ar doing great!thye are a whitish pearlk olor and its so awsoem to watch them bury themsleves when a perch comes by.
Veneer
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)21:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisssss wrote:
I recently caught some in a ditch near my house.there is a large cluster in my ditch and I'm making an aquarium of local little minows and such.I put sand at te bottom an dteh clams ar doing great!thye are a whitish pearlk olor and its so awsoem to watch them bury themsleves when a perch comes by.

Can you provide a picture? C. corbicula exists as an introduced species across much of North America.
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)21:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are pretty much things that you can ignore if you have a planted tank. A little bit of sand in the front is just about all they need. Otherwise occasionally adding greenwater and yeast suspension should be enough to feed them. I don't think they have that much power against greenwater as they don't filter much water...but a good number might provide some help.
ariaanna
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.11(Wed)0:33    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, I have some puffers....... 2 dwarf puffers, a neon green puffer, and a red eye puffer, to be precise...... so I was thinking about getting some clams to keep as snacks in case something horrible happens to my frozen food (like a roomie accidentally kicking it under the fridge or the like) and I figured they'd be helpful in case my fish don't eat all their food (one of my roomies doesn't understand when I tell him to never feed my fish that that means never feed my fish. Rolling Eyes )

AND I think it'd just be really cool to have clams in my tank....... Laughing

oh, and no, the puffers aren't ALL in the same tank..........

the red eye has her own.

and the snails would be in a 55 gallon semi-planted community tank until they're fed to the puffers. biggest fish in the 55 is a paradisefish, so I doubt I'll have my clams murdered left and right (paradisefish is too busy trying to court his female to attack much of anything else......)
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: