Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Khulie Loaches
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Enlighter
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.09(Mon)23:13    Post subject: Khulie Loaches Reply with quote

They seem to be an extremely social fish. Do they like to be in groups of more then 2, or is 2 a perfect number? The ones I just got seem to be very happy and they seem to allready have a STRONG relationship with eachother.

I think thats in their nature allready, but its very nice to see a recent addition to a tank getting along so nicely, and being that happy right off the bat :: )
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)0:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

yep kuhlis are very social little fishies. cute little fellas. I really liked my 2 little guys cept it was annoying having to fish them out of the HOB filter!

andrew
2 winged demons
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)13:53    Post subject: I have 5 Reply with quote

I have 5, I like having more than 2 since it is so rare to see them all out at once.
Josh Hansen
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.12(Thu)20:54    Post subject: Kuli loaches Reply with quote

Can kuli loaches be compatible with larger fish such as gouramis, angels and rainbows or do they become another fishes meal?

from Josh
SLACkra
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.12(Thu)21:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure about angels and gouramis comptabability with kuhlis. however I kept 2 kuhlis in a 15 gallon tank with an amazon puffer. the puffer was only a jeuvinille only 2" in length. he checked them out with no serious harm to the kuhlis and eventually left them alone. probably depends on how hungry and or how large the other fish is and whether or not they can even find the kuhlis, I know I often had trouble!

andrew
2 winged demons
kimura
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.13(Fri)17:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I lost one of mine to a blackghost Sad the gromi should be fine but I'm not sure about the angel. although I would definately get a few more. the more you have the more active they will be. be careful aclimating them tho since they can be delicate until they get settled.
Nadias_Nana
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.13(Fri)23:56    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a 10 gallon planted tank with 5 kuhlis and 5 ember tetras. I also have another 29 gallon with 2 angels and 2 gouramis, and 1 SAE. (BAD advice from the LFS!) The angels are spawning, and I had to put 1 of the gouramis into the 10 gallon, so she wouldn't get beat up by the angels. She seems pretty happy in there, she checks out the kuhlis, but I haven't seen any agression. Gouramis are basically vegetarians, (although mine love live brine shrimp and tubiflex worms), but IMO it will really depend on the particular fish. I had bought 2 gold gouramis, both females, and ended up taking one of them back, because she was attacking everything in the tank, including the male gourami, and both the angels!
Also, the kuhlis are pretty fast, and they will hide under your rocks/driftwood,etc. So I personally don't see any problems. Good luck!
BARBy
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.15(Sun)14:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have khulis in a 29g with an adult angel. He was very curious and nippy toward them right at first (for several days to a week), but now he is very tolerant of them and will peck at food in the gravel right alongside them without ever nipping at all. He really ignores them.

And I LOVE them! Only 2 of mine survived the intro to my tank (not due to the angel) and they are active all day long. They spend about half their time together and half exploring the tank separately. Make sure you have a tank with plenty of floor space if you get anymore since they are really limited to the substrate they can get crowded and bored in small tanks. Mine seem to want more space as they continually forage over the same gravel and plant roots. Enjoy your playful, active cuties!
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: