Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
PMDD pre-mix guru advise needed
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drbdc
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.09(Mon)22:34    Post subject: PMDD pre-mix guru advise needed Reply with quote

If anyone is good with that nutrient calculator and pmdd pre-mix, would they mind checking my numbers out?

Here's what I did. I just switched my dosing today. I checked my nitrates. They equal 5. I mixed 250ml water with 4 tablespoons pre-mix. Since the premix is supp. to be 4 equal parts, that would plug into the calculator as 1 tablespoon KNO3. On a 44 gallon, it tells me that it will raise by .25 ppm nitrate. I should then dose (I did 10 ml and thus should be 7.5 now). Then I check my nitrate again in the interval of time I plan on dosing. If I gave the correct amount for that time period, it will be at 5 again. If I did too much I'll be higher as that it wouldn't have been used up. If I did too little then I need to increase my dose as my plants used more than I gave it.

Does this sound correct or am I messing up this thought process. This doesn't seem to account for my water change drop though. On those days, wouldn't I be much lower? Do I have to check this each time or should I be over dosing a little and let the water change reset it? Or just figure a diff dose for that day.
Rex Grigg
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)6:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well since the horse is out of the barn it's too late to do anything about it. But I really hate the PMDD pre-mix. I prefer to dose each nutrient as needed when needed.

Your figures are correct. And you need to dose after each water change for at least the amount of water you have changed.

Semper Fi
drbdc
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)7:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Smile I noticed that in that premix, all of them are equal. But if I look at other pmdd formulas, they usually double the Pot. sulphate or the in comparison or add K2O. I have been doing 3X a week: 1/3 tspn KNO3, 6 drops fleets, and 10 ml of the tetra Flora Pride. But I wanted to buy online for the cheaper pricing. Local it is 6 bucks for a very little bottle of KNO3. And the tetra stuff isn't exp. but not cheap either. Then I went to the web site and bought Maybe I can mix what I have with to come up with a better mix til re-order time. Not that I spent that much.

The tetra florapride is Pot sulphate, iron, and molybdenum. The plantex has the iron and molyb. also.

I use Seachem equilibrium to reclaim my R/O water so I need to go look up what that is adding in the way of those 3. I've heard a lot of bad feedback on the iron tests so I'm not sure what to do on that but guess?
Rex Grigg
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)18:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seachem Equilibrium is mainly potassium. In fact your potassium levels could be very high. It also adds some calcium, magnesium, iron and manganese.

You can see just what it contains here http://seachem.com/products/product_pages/Equilbrium.html

Semper Fi
drbdc
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)19:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

AAAAGGGGGHHHH!!!! OK, so I'm doing some extra repeat and maybe that it is one part shorter in the K is good. From what I understand the potassium tests aren't really worth the money. If I track the NO3 at first and try to gauge my NO3 consumption and Fe levels. I want to use up the 2 lbs I got of the premix and go back to seperates I guess.

Off I go to try and do calculations then. Crying or Very sad
drbdc
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)19:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and I'm using the seachem because I'm using the ro unit I got for my reef tanks. We have high copper in our muni water and I raise pomacea bridgesii (sp?) snails to try and pay for my addiction to water. That's another fight I have to keep KH up with a lower pH for plants. I move the eggs to another tank after being laid that has a southdown sand substrate and that works great for 7.8 and high KH for the babies.

But in short, my dosing should take care of reclaiming the general mineral content of the RO I guess and I can quit spending money on the equilibrium. Then I can buy more tanks. Wink
Plantbrain
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)21:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than making things all complicated:
Add to a 44 gal tank fully planted with CO2:

1/3 teaspoon of KNO3 2-3x a week
1/16"+ teaspoon of KH2PO4 2-3x a week
Traces 8 mls 2-3x a week.
Add KH/GH to achieve 3 degrees and 4-5 degrees.

That's it.

Do not bother testing Fe
NO3 testing is notoriously inaccurate, only use calibrated test kits by making a known standard solution to compare the known and the read out on the test kit to verify accuracy.

Regards,
Tom Barr

3rd annual Plant Fest July 8-14th 2005!
subscribe@BarrReport.com Get connected
www.BarrReport.com Get the information
drbdc
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.12(Thu)19:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. Very Happy That is pretty close to what I almost had worked out before. But it took me a long time to get there. Shows what experience with planted tanks can do for you. If I can ever help you out on reef tanks look me up!
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: