Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Convicts
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
esoteric
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.09(Mon)21:05    Post subject: Convicts Reply with quote

I need to know what Convicts can live with. I have one black convict and he doesn't mess with anything as big or bigger than him but I know he will later. I want to make another cichlid tank but if convicts can't get along well with anything else, I am not sure I want them. The tank the Convicts would be in is a 37gal eclipse.

Please let me know what you think!

thanks!
brennus
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.09(Mon)21:35    Post subject: Re: Convicts Reply with quote

esoteric wrote:
I need to know what Convicts can live with. I have one black convict and he doesn't mess with anything as big or bigger than him but I know he will later. I want to make another cichlid tank but if convicts can't get along well with anything else, I am not sure I want them. The tank the Convicts would be in is a 37gal eclipse.

Please let me know what you think!

thanks!

Convict mothers are homicidal, and they breed easily... I've seen 2inchers hold back 8 inch Jack Dempseys... So, a big tank is necessary. 37 is kinda small in my opinion. If you want to keep them with something else, that is.
Tommy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)8:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't classify female convicts as "homicidal", but as it is well known Convicts male AND female are extremely agressive in defense of an established nest. A single convict by itself will not typically be overly agressive although it will likely still claim a territory.

You start off by saying you have "one black convict" so I have to ask if you are intending to add other convicts to this tank? If you are, then that will be the only species of cichlid that you will be able to keep in this tank period. A breeding pair of cons will soon own this tank and drive any fish that may be seen as a threat to their nest into an upper corner or worse yet kill it outright. For this setup you may be able to get away with a smaller species of pleco such as a bristlenose although you would need to keep a close eye on it for signs of damage. You might also be able to keep a school of larger upper-water fish such as giant danios or congo tetras. As expensive as congos are I wouldn't risk it myself.
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.11(Wed)14:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies! I figured I should not have convicts with anything else but for now I will keep the one I have and if I see aggression hes out. I will not add any to the current tank but will still consider turning the 37gal into a convict tank. We will have to see.....
okny
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.11(Wed)14:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a convict leaving with 5 oscars, 2 clown knifes, 4 plecos, 2 jewel fish, and jack dempsey. He doesn't bother the rest because they are all bigger then him but he is currently 7 inches and some days he protects his home and will attack any fish that will come close but so far he hasn't injured any fish and leaving pretty well with the rest.
esoteric
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.12(Thu)4:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like quite a combo!

What size tank are we talkin about?
brennus
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.14(Sat)14:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought 3 Convicts for my 30 gallon tank... 2 of which I know are female. I really hope they breed.
puffermantis
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.14(Sat)15:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to muddy the waters, but I have 2 Jack Dempseys,2 Pink Convicts and 2 zebras together in a heavily planted and rocked 55g tank and they have been together for 7 weeeks now. They all are growing rapidly and get along well. That could change quickly, but I feed them all they can eat 3x/day and they seem good together. Having said that, I believe I'm going to have to move the malawis to their own tank before too much longer as I've heard they are far more agressive when spawning.
p.s. The Dempseys are 4", the Convicts are 4.5" and the Zebras are 3.5".
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: