Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Tetras (neon and black phantom) sitting at bottom of tank?
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Enlighter
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.09(Mon)20:41    Post subject: Tetras (neon and black phantom) sitting at bottom of tank? Reply with quote

Is this normal behavior for them? Or do they normally swim all over the place? Just added them to the tank. Tank is a 20g with 2 khulie loaches and 3 ghost shrimp. Tetras seem healthy just tending to favor the bottom of the tank.
Enlighter
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.09(Mon)20:45    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't look very natural. Any suggestions?
Susan Wright
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.09(Mon)21:24    Post subject: Re: Tetras (neon and black phantom) sitting at bottom of tan Reply with quote

Enlighter wrote:
Is this normal behavior for them? Or do they normally swim all over the place? Just added them to the tank. Tank is a 20g with 2 khulie loaches and 3 ghost shrimp. Tetras seem healthy just tending to favor the bottom of the tank.

How long has the tank been up and running?
What are your parementers, ammonia, nitrites and nitrates?

It could also be that they are a little stressed from the move to a new tank. May take a little time for them to adjust.
Enlighter
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.09(Mon)21:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have singled one out. He was very in active sitting on the bottom of the tank really not moving except for when the current moved him.

Its been up for 3-4 weeks before I added any fish. all the others seem to be fine. I do have a sand bottom which I plan to change because I know the tetras like a dark bottom. ALSO SAND IS HELL TO DEAL WITH.

The othe phantoms are moving around and such. I am wondering if they don't like to strong of a filter? I have the penguin 200 on the tank (20g) was highly recomended by everyone.

I don't have an amonia/nitrate test kit unfortunitly, and never have used one and have kept MANY aquariums fine without one. pH is around 7.0 and the temp is 79 throughout.

Seems it was just this one phantom that wasn't doing to hot.

However is the water flow an issue? If so I can try and slow it down, or downgrade the filter.

Thankfully and unfortunitly it seems to just be that one :: (

Removed him will take him in to be checked out tommorow. The others are all active since I got back today and all seem to be quite happy.
Enlighter
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)15:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good news I added the seemingly sick tetra back in because he is all of a sudden very healthy. Think he was just stressed from the tank change. He is now happy and swimming around with the others like nothign happened :: )

Has now been in for a full day and is extremely happy and they all seem to love the tank.
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: