Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Red Claw Crab Home
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pi
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.09(Mon)19:26    Post subject: Red Claw Crab Home Reply with quote

So, I broke one of my own rules and bought a red claw crab (freshwater) from a chain store- I don't buy live animals from that store for many reasons, but I saw him and couldn't resist. I got him home, aclimated him, and within two days one of his big claws dropped off. He stopped moving much, and wouldn't eat. He was in my 29, which, at the time, only housed him and some ghost shrimp. First thing I did was check ammonia and nitrites, but they were 0. I decided to quarantine him off in a 5 gal. out of sheer dumb luck I had a 5 gal. up and running that I was using for a betta before he moved to a divided 10.

Anyway, the crab settled in and has become a little bit more active, but I still haven't seen him eat much (he ate when I first brought him home). I did more research and learned they liked to have access to air. I didn't have any spare aquarium safe rocks so I ended up leaning a lego thing (
Embarassed ) against the wall of a 2/3 filled 5 gal.

I'm using aquarium sand substrate 3-4 cm deep.

I've decided that he's not going back in the 29 since he likes access to air, and I figure a 5 gal. is fine for one 3.5cm crab. But I've never kept crabs before, so I don't really know what he would like.

Has anyone had any experience with them, and would be willing to share it?
What kinds of things do crabs...err...like?
Any special foods that would really entice him to eat?
Should I heat? I have a 25 watt that I could probably rig up if necessary. My room temp is 22 C (72 F).

I would really like to get the lego out of his tank, but I don't have anything better to replace it with...and it's pretty much the only thing he hangs out on.

Pi
Glitch
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.09(Mon)19:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about crabs but I ran across this site when I went to look for a picture of one. http://www.geocities.com/elgecko1989/crab.html hope its usefull they look totaly cool. I can see why you did the impulse thing

Glitch

Edit and http://wrongcrowd.com/staticpages/index.php?page=crab
Veneer
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)18:40    Post subject: Re: Red Claw Crab Home Reply with quote

Pi wrote:
So, I broke one of my own rules and bought a red claw crab (freshwater) from a chain store- I don't buy live animals from that store for many reasons, but I saw him and couldn't resist. I got him home, aclimated him, and within two days one of his big claws dropped off. He stopped moving much, and wouldn't eat. He was in my 29, which, at the time, only housed him and some ghost shrimp. First thing I did was check ammonia and nitrites, but they were 0. I decided to quarantine him off in a 5 gal. out of sheer dumb luck I had a 5 gal. up and running that I was using for a betta before he moved to a divided 10.

Your crab (probably Sesarma bidens or an allied species) is a truly brackish and amphibious organism; if submersed in full freshwater for any significant stretch of time (as they typically are), most specimens succumb to "creeping disease", whereby appendages become detached and general activity plummets in a terminal spiral typically culminating in death.
Pi
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)20:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poor guy. No wonder he wasn't happy.

Well, he does have access to air- but he's still in freshwater. I don't have the stuff to make it brackish at the moment, but I will do so as soon as possible. I've never kept a brackish tank. How quickly should I transition him (even if he is truly brackish, I'll assume just being dumped into water of a different salinity would be bad)?

Aside from that, I suppose I'll set him up with some lava rock to climb on that pokes out of the water for access to air. He is eating and active now, so I think he will pull through so long as I get him in a proper home soon.

Thanks for the links glitch, I had been to the wrongcrowd website before, but had not found the geocities one. They are really cool looking.

Has anyone here kept them? Research is fantastic, but I'd like to hear experiences from someone who has had success with them.

Pi
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: