Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
DIY Sump, etc.
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TheVillageIdiot
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.09(Mon)9:25    Post subject: DIY Sump, etc. Reply with quote

I have a drilled tank w/ an overflow. I plan on using a 20 gallon tank as a sump and a MAG 7 as a return pump. the tank is drilled 1" and 3/4", will I be able to buy all the parts I need from a local hardware store like homedepot? The over flow "kit" at the LFS is around 40-50 US dollars, and I'm pretty sure I can build it myself based on what I've read on the net.

As for the MAG 7, will homedepot have the "hose" I need for the return? And for that matter, will I be able to use 3/4" and 1" flex pipe from homedepot? I believe it's a 1/2" pump that I'll need to change to a 3/4" once it gets to the tank. As you can see, I've never done any of this before, and I'm a little confused. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks guys!
KDodds
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.09(Mon)12:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll use the larger drill for the drain (don't forget bulkheads). You can use PVC flexible tubing from Home Depot just fine. Make sure it's PVC because some other plastics become rigid and harden and sometimes even misshape over time. There should be reducing barbs available to "step up" from 1/2 to 3/4. Just make sure you're looking at the ID (Inner Diameter) measurments.
TheVillageIdiot
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.09(Mon)13:13    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dodds,

thanks again, I had figured as much and I found a guy online named Richard Durso, who gives fairly detailed instructions on how to build your own standpipe. I intend to use his model, glad to know I'll be able to get everything else (return, flex tube, etc.) on the cheap as well.

appreciate your help!
KDodds
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.09(Mon)19:07    Post subject: Reply with quote

No prob. The "Durso Mod" really works well. I do a modified one using a 180 cleanout elbow in 2". The cleanout plug threads to a 3/4" male adapter for your air hole. This "version" has worked very well for me and is even more silent, IMO, than Rich's overflow mod.
 Forum Index > Marine Equipment and Chemistry All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: