Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
how do you rescape without freaking out fish?
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raggamuffin
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.09(Mon)5:16    Post subject: how do you rescape without freaking out fish? Reply with quote

hey,
I'm begining to redo my 20 gal which contains a large angel, a school of tetras and a bristlenose plec. I have a few new pieces of driftwood which will go in soon, and I'll be rearranging rocks and plants.

I did a little rearranging a few days ago and the angel got so spooked while I was working that at one point he must have swum into something because he now has a few nasty scratches on his side. hes healing up nicely now though.

when I finish off the rest of the tank, what should I do with the angel? I was thinking I'll just put him in a bucket, but I don't know whether this would be more stressfull for him than leaving him in the tank while I move things around. what do you all reckon I should do? the other fish seem relatively alright with me moving things around.
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.09(Mon)6:46    Post subject: Reply with quote

A fish safe bucket might not be a bad idea. If that isn't an option, you can try reduce the amount of light you use when you scape ( if any at all).

Also, you might want to Melafix the tank to try to prevent your angels scratches from becoming infected.

Jake
haname
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.05.09(Mon)7:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would put the angel in the bucket, and cover it so that it is dark. That will calm it down. Even though catching the fish will cause stress, it is short term stress compared to the time it will take to do the rearranging. There will be much less chance of further injury. Also make sure to have the lights out (tank and dim the room) when you return the fish to the tank so it isn't shocked by sudden bright light along with the stress of moving again. A dose of NovAqua will be helpful too if you have it., for the bucket and for the tank.

~Haname
fish man
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.09(Mon)19:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey raggamuffin what kind of fish is that in your pic it looks cool and I want one but I don't know the name
elTwitcho
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.09(Mon)20:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it depends on how much you're going to do in the tank and how much space the tank has. If the fish can comfortably get to the opposite side of the tank because it's big enough for him to stay out of your way, I'd leave the fish in there. Likewise, if you're just going to be placing a piece of driftwood and taking your hand out, again just leave him in the tank.

If the tank is only a 20 gallon or smaller though, or you're going to be mucking around in there for a few minutes, I'd put him in a bucket. When I had to redo one of my piranha tanks I put the fish in a bucket and it saved him (and me) a lot of stress rather than having him crash into stuff trying to avoid me. In my cichlid tank however, the 48 inches of length means the fish can usually get away from whatever I'm doing without much problems for anyone.
Pi
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.09(Mon)22:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish man wrote:
hey raggamuffin what kind of fish is that in your pic it looks cool and I want one but I don't know the name

Not raggamuffin, but I know the answer anyway...

It's a rummy nose tetra and, like most tetras, they are schooling fish so you will need to get more than one. Smile http://www.thetropicaltank.co.uk/Fishindx/tet-rumm.htm has basics
Raggamuffin
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)3:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks all for your replies!
its a 20 gallon tall and the angel is nearly full grown, so I don't really think there is enough space for him to chill in there while I work (especially because I'm completely redoing the tank). that means that I'll be taking him out. I bought an extra large net today to catch him and the bucket I plan to put him in is a plastic 30 litre stoage tub. I'm already Malafixing him, but I don't know what NovAqua is. what is it and what does it do?

yeah rummy nose tetras are so cool! they school so tightly! there are 14 in this tank and they thrive! their colours really perk up when they are happy and healthy. my avitar is a pic of one of the rummies in my tank! the red looks so great against hygrophila!

I'll post pics of the tank once it's done.
haname
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.05.11(Wed)13:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NovAqua info sheet should answer all your questions about this product.

~Haname
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: