Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Killfish Question
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Greatwhite
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.08(Sun)20:09    Post subject: Killfish Question Reply with quote

I just bought two Golden Wonder Killies(male) and I have some worries. Sad For the first few days, one picked and bit at the other. The one being bullied stayed at the bottom of the tank and around the middle, and didn't eat too much. Now that has stopped, and they don't fight much anymore. The bullied fish still hangs around the middle/bottom of the tank, but eats a little bit more and occasionly goes to the surface. Will he eventually stay at the top of the tank, or is this permanent? Also, how big do Golden Wonder Killfish get? Cool
2la
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.05.08(Sun)23:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Were you able to find out anything about this fish before you bought it, by any chance? A little Internet surfing will tell you that the species exhibits intraspecific aggression, grows to 4", and shows significant predatory instincts. Hopefully you have it in a medium-sized tank or larger with good-sized tankmates.
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)13:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

To add to what 2la said, seeing that you are here in the bay area, if you are interested in becoming a successful keepers of killifish, there is an EXCELLENT killifish club nearby. The SF Bay Area Killifish Association is a top notch program for learning how to care for these fish on a level you might not have even thought about taking it to.
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.11(Wed)14:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started with this Killie because it was easy to come by and is an easier one to raise. I now have some more challenging species on their way. They can and will get upto 6 inches in larger tanks. These fish will eat any other fish they can get in their mouths. I had a tank problem and put one of my breeding pair into my 55g tank which had a lot of free guppies from my aunt(1/2 feeder guppy 1/2 veiltail so not to drab). My female killie grabbed a 1 1/4 inch male guppy by the head and swallowed it. She is only 2 1/4 inches long. Part of the tail stuck out of her mouth for about 30 minutes. You can keep several female and one male in a tank with no problems. I had both pair of killies in the 55g for awhile and they worked out who had what area and did OK until the females started laying eggs. The bigger male slowly took over the whole tank as his teritory. I have 18 fry and a hundred or so eggs in different stages right now. I seperated the fish for awhile to stop breeding as I am running out of tank space.

A great online source for Killifish is: www.dallaskillifish.com . They have a lot of nice people in the forums. AKA.org is another good site for info but the group is a bit touchy and clichish with many of them disliking breeding fish for something other than their natural colors like this golden variety that we have of Aplocheilus lineatus which is a much drabber grey fish with the blue, ornge and red iridesents on their sides. SO while at AKA(American Killifish @$$.) keep this in mind.
Greatwhite
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.12(Thu)8:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

I returned the Killfish because they seemed unhappy, so I got a new Flame Dwarf Gourami. So far everything is fine, but he isn't eating much. That's normal for the first few days isn't it? Cool
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: