Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Mixing local fish with goldfish and pleco
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ewurm
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.08(Sun)16:01    Post subject: Mixing local fish with goldfish and pleco Reply with quote

I have discovered a local fish in a small inlet of a lake I live on. Measures aprroximately 1.5" Very bright markings on dorsal fin, blue and bright orange. Caught in a minnow trap. I have some larger goldfish in a tank with very similar water qualities to the lake where I caught this minnow. It's a very beautiful and somewhat rare specimen in my area and I am thinking of adding it to my goldfish tank. Anyone see any problems with this? I believe this may be an Iowa Darter. I live in MN.
davidk
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.08(Sun)17:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read that they make excellent aquaruim fish but require a special permit to be collected and kept, just like many other fish from the wild.

http://www.gen.umn.edu/research/fish/fishes/iowa_darter.html
Quote:
In lakes and ponds Iowa darters eat mostly copepods, waterfleas of various sorts, and midge larvae. As they grow they add sideswimmers and larger midge larvae. In streams and rivers Iowa darters eat mostly midge and mayfly larvae.

Last edited by davidk on 2005.05.08(Sun)18:02; edited 2 times in total
ewurm
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.08(Sun)17:28    Post subject: Permit Reply with quote

In MN, no species other than game species require a permit, and game fish may be harvested for aquarium use depending on species and number. I appreciate your reply. I introduced this species this afternoon and it seems nervous to be with the larger fish as of right now.
davidk
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.08(Sun)17:30    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a cross between a paradise gourami and minnow Very Happy
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.08(Sun)21:03    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you're interested in learning more about darters and other native fish (and how could you not be!!!), you might want to take a look at http://www.nativefish.org/
Fuzzy_One_007
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.13(Fri)14:30    Post subject: Re: Mixing local fish with goldfish and pleco Reply with quote

ewurm wrote:
I have discovered a local fish in a small inlet of a lake I live on. Measures aprroximately 1.5" Very bright markings on dorsal fin, blue and bright orange. Caught in a minnow trap. I have some larger goldfish in a tank with very similar water qualities to the lake where I caught this minnow. It's a very beautiful and somewhat rare specimen in my area and I am thinking of adding it to my goldfish tank. Anyone see any problems with this? I believe this may be an Iowa Darter. I live in MN.

OK, first of all, Goldfish should NEVER be kept with any other type of fish. NEVER EVER! why? b/c goldfish produce way too much ammonia and their water requirements are too different from any other fish that they should be kept only with other goldfish or by themselves. Smile
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.13(Fri)15:20    Post subject: Re: Mixing local fish with goldfish and pleco Reply with quote

Fuzzy_One_007 wrote:
OK, first of all, Goldfish should NEVER be kept with any other type of fish. NEVER EVER! why? b/c goldfish produce way too much ammonia and their water requirements are too different from any other fish that they should be kept only with other goldfish or by themselves. Smile

I definitely would agree that the messiness of Goldies probably wouldn't do the Darter any good, since it is wild caught and from aquafiers which run much deeper than, and with a much greater exchange rate, than a fish tank. More than likely it is very sensitive to nitrogenous wastes because it may or may not encounter them in the wild. I disagree with the notion that the waste that goldfish produce, if properly kept in check with water changes, make it impossible to keep any domesticated cold water fish with them, though.

Also, the idea that the water requirements for goldies are too different from any other fish is too general as well. There are at least a half a dozen fish that thrive in coldwater that are somewhat available. Granted, many of them don't mix with goldfish well for several reasons including harassment and over abundant activity. Still, if the right conditons are met, like a large pond, goldfish can be kept with other types of coldwater fish very successfully.

Jake
ewurm
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.13(Fri)17:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

the pH, water hardness and buffering capacity of the lake where icaught this fish is almost identical to my tank. Weekly water changes with charcoal filtration keep nitros at 0. Fish is doing well so far. Going to catch him a mate this weekend and buy a new tank. At least he won't be eaten by a northern pike!
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: