Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Bala Sharks
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DBaker
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.08(Sun)11:35    Post subject: Bala Sharks Reply with quote

I would like to add 2 Bala Sharks to my 60 gal. tank. I was recently reading the comments on Bala Sharks and noticed conflicting information. Currently, I have 2 Pearl Gouramis, 13 Neons and 3 corey cats. They are all very happy living together. I would like to add 2 Bala Sharks but one of the comments indicated the Balas would eat smaller fish like Neons, while another comment said the Neons would be fine living with Balas. I understand fish compatibility is not an exact science, but I would like to draw on the more experienced aquarists comments. If anyone could bestow their pearls of wisdom on this topic, I would be grateful. Also, I am concerned about the Gouramis living with the Sharks. Does anyone have any experience with these species living together? I don't want to create friction in what is now a very happy peaceful community. I started this hobby for relaxation. I would feel terrible if I knew any resident in my aquarium was living in misery or fear because of a big mean bully. I could always use the porcelain express to correct the situation, but I would like to avoid this experience. Any other species recommendations with my current tank population will be appreciated also. Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mogwai
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.05.08(Sun)12:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

Compatability aside, I would say no to the Balas due to their eventual size, plus the fact they are shoaling fish and need to be in a shoal of at least 5 to be happy. They grow to 35cm long and 30cm wide approx, and putting them in a small tank could lead to stunting, immunosuppression and frustation at lack of swimming space, which may lead them to harm your other tank inhabitants.
It's hard to find somewhere to take these big guys when adult - unless you are thinking of a much larger tank in the near future I would rethink the Balas.
HTH Very Happy
DBaker
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.08(Sun)12:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your advice. I will have to wait to get a bigger tank before I decide on Balas. Do you have any other recommendations?
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
violentray
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)14:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mogwai wrote:
They grow to 35cm long and 30cm wide approx,

I believe you must be wrong. if a fish is 35 CM long it it 13-14 inches. if a fish is 30 cm wide itis 12 inches wide.

if that were thae case these fish would look like beachballs in you tank as a large adult. I agreee with the length as I have heard of them reaching 13 inches, but the body shape can not be that large. I would believe that their body would not reach larger than 4 inches in Diamater.

if you add from anal fin to dorsal fin you may get 7 inches but no more.

size clarification aside - balas are a bad choice for your tank. besides their size they need a school of at minimum 3 preferably 5-6. most people do not recomend balas for anything under 75G. if you want more fish in your tank you may want to look into adding a large school of tetras - penguins are my favorite.

RIP - 6 neons, and a betta
pherfect
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.11(Wed)1:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here's my 2 cents. When I got into the hobby 21 months ago, I aquired a 60 gallon tank that had eight fish- one of them was a lone 6" bala shark. While not knowing how psychotic a non-shoaling bala sharks would behave, to this day he is thriving, and along with a pink tetra the only surviving fish of that original stock. Last October I upgraded to a 180 gallon and the bala has grown to 10" and seems fine. This particular bala is incredibly tough! He's been thru ammonia spikes,(in the beginning), had ich, done the flip-flop twice- once from the 60 gal, and the other time when getting ready to go in the 180 gal- and to this day is a pig. I say that if you plan on upgrading in the future, get a couple balas. And cover the tank! One other thing is balas are skiddish, and have a tendency to dart into the glass if startled, even in a 4 ft long tank. Thats another reason why they should be in a longer tank. Smile
Mogwai
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.05.11(Wed)10:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Violentray - I concede to that - 35cm by 15cm then...still far too large for the majority of home aquaria.
Tim McDonnell
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.11(Wed)10:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

My experience with bala sharks and pearl gouramis was exvellent. They went well together.

Although in your case I would not recommend getting bala sharks. Only because of the tank size.
DBaker
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.12(Thu)9:06    Post subject: Reply with quote

All, thanks very much for your comments, and advice. Balas are magnificent creatures but it seems I will need to wait to get a bigger tank. Your other suggestions were very helpful also. What about Rosey Barbs? Even though they are Barbs, everything I have read about them indicates they are not nippers like their counterpart species. Is this true? How many would you recommend, male to female ratios, etc? Would 2 males fight with each other?
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: