Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
The precious baby we found
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Aqua Chat  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Susan Wright
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.08(Sun)8:56    Post subject: The precious baby we found Reply with quote

We found this little girl sick and very weak about 2 weeks ago. Her mother and siblings were dead she was about there.

She has become very attached to me and my daughter as we are attached to her. She isn't very big but she will get there. Started her out with an eye dropper, tried a feeding bottle but kept chewing the nipples off. now she is eating kitten food and baby food. Vet gave her a clean bill of health yesterday so all is going good for her. She will have a very pampered life now.
Glitch
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.08(Sun)10:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Cute and yea you! for helping her Very Happy
Laskey
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.05.08(Sun)11:25    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you, I can't thank you enough for taking her in and loving her! Precious indeed. How touching; people like you just make my day.

Please get her spayed at six months old so this doesn't happen again. And if you live where there is danger, keep her indoors; as a rule, cats are just as happy and mortality and illness is much lower among indoor kitties. That's a point of contention, I know, so I'll just tell you my strong opinion and let you make up your own mind and hope for the best.

I have two indoor kitties, but the one who is leash-trained does go outside quite a lot Smile So if she does want to go out, know that leash training is still possible, especially at this age! And whenever you go out to garden, you can just tie her to a little stake (as long as she doesn't get tangled) and they can sniff all of the trees and eat all the grass they want. A harness is needed, not just a collar/leash.

My boy kitty loves outside and has even learned where "his spot" is; so we say, "Go to your spot!" if he ever sneaks outdoors without his leash, then we catch him. He goes right to his spot; yes, they can be trained. Very easily I might add.

We don't let dogs out to run free-range and rampant, and it's the same with cats. Too many dangers, and too many cat-haters out there who don't appreciate cats pooping in their gardens and who will do very cruel things to them, nevermind the danger from other territorial cats, automobiles, and other unsupervised mishaps.

She looks old enough to take soft canned kitten food. Sounds like she has teeth, so she's ready for something semi-solid.

Again, thanks for being so kind. I love these kinds of stories.

Laskey
Susan Wright
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.08(Sun)18:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the comments. Would you believe I have 9 kitties now that I feed, 6 are outside cats that are homeless but stay here because of my daughter and I don't believe in letting them starve. 2 have been spaded so that will keep the population down. Little Missy will stay an indoor cat along with my own personal 2, don't believe in letting them out to get sick or hurt. 1 of mine is 7 then the other is 6, never had thier feet on dirt (besides kittie litter). Since there is so many I do give them thier shots myself. Thank god for Jeffers, I couldn't afford shots for 9 from a vet.

My house is so full of animals that lots of people don't like coming here but that is okay with me. I think I am more at home with the animals anyway. Love my little babies. All of them.
davidk
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.08(Sun)18:22    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susan Wright wrote:
6 are outside cats that are homeless but stay here because of my daughter and I don't believe in letting them starve.

Thats unhealthy/unsanitary and inconsiderate to your neighbors. If you stop feeding them, they will go away and find other food sources. I cannot stand cats as they are an overpopulated species in this world, but we do have 2 of them. I'm about to kick my female out of the house and give her away because she 1) doesn't bury her crap in the litter box, 2) hides all day, and 3) is becoming extremely obese, and I mean OBESE...waddle waddle.

It irritates me that some people will continue to support cats that hang out outside their homes. Where do they go poop? On the neighbors lawn of course. I won't jump to conclusions, but judging by the amount of cats you keep outside your house, your property isnt exactly eye candy.

Stop feeding them, they won't die.
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.08(Sun)20:32    Post subject: Reply with quote

Smile Hi she is very cute but a very strange looking fish ....Enjoy she should be a great friend to have around... Smile
Susan Wright
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.08(Sun)21:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

davidk wrote:
Susan Wright wrote:
6 are outside cats that are homeless but stay here because of my daughter and I don't believe in letting them starve.

Thats unhealthy/unsanitary and inconsiderate to your neighbors. If you stop feeding them, they will go away and find other food sources. I cannot stand cats as they are an overpopulated species in this world, but we do have 2 of them. I'm about to kick my female out of the house and give her away because she 1) doesn't bury her crap in the litter box, 2) hides all day, and 3) is becoming extremely obese, and I mean OBESE...waddle waddle.

It irritates me that some people will continue to support cats that hang out outside their homes. Where do they go poop? On the neighbors lawn of course. I won't jump to conclusions, but judging by the amount of cats you keep outside your house, your property isnt exactly eye candy.

Stop feeding them, they won't die.

1. There is some wooded area where they go.

2. My yard looks pretty good compared to some of my neighbors that has all the junk cars and such in there yards, piles of wood left from last summer of cutting trees down. and all the dogs that the neighbors have that run the area. My house and yard is kept clean so don't talk to me about unsanitary and unhealthly. I clean up after all these animals inside and out as I would any child on a daily basis, plus holding down a job.

3. Yes you are jumping to conclusions as you don't know me or the cats or the neighborhood. And the idiots that just dump the poor creatures to defend themselves against humans and dogs. People around here will go out of there way to hit an animal. I guess you are one of the priveldge few who don't have people like that in your neighborhood. Or are you one of those people? Judging by the statement you made. Also what about dogs, birds and people To name a few of overpopulation, Do you hate those also?

There I have said my peace! To the moderators of this forum I apologize for this. I will now keep my opinions to myself.

I also apologize to anyone who happens upon this thread to see the outburst that I have gotten and to see my reply.
davidk
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.08(Sun)21:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please don't feel sorry for yourself. Time and time again on this site I see people preaching about proper fish care. Lets talk about proper PET care, forget singling out the fish. Outdoor cats are UNSANITARY. You cannot sit on this forum and tell me that you clean up after them. Cleaning up after 6 outdoor cats is near impossible.

I live in a DOWNTOWN area on the 4th floor of a high end condo high rise with annual triple digit $ makers, so no we don't have a huge problem with stray animals. I am a responsible pet keeper with 2 cats and several fish. I shouldnt even mention the fish because they are stationary like furniture. Overpopulation is not as much as a problem with "dogs, birds and people". Dogs are easier to catch and quarantine, birds are hardly menacing enough to mention, and people...thats out of my control although I do have some spectacular ideas.

Its an educated fact that outdoor cats are unhealthy, not to mention 6, and a person who supports such behavior. What if a child were to pick up a coil of cat crap while playing in his front yard? Can you even begin to understand how unsanitary and deadly cat feces can be? Watch Animal Precinct on the Animal Channel. One episode that sticks in my head included a house with a lady owner who refused to open the door until a warrant was served. There were over 100 felines at/in/outside of her house. Disgusting, unmentionable.

Lets face the facts. Supporting stray animals is irresponsible. The male cats are undoubtably mating with other female cats in the distance, and producing much more of a problem. Did you know you are legally responsible for these animals if a problem were to arise? Yes, you are, so they are in essence your cats now.

Have a good read, educate yourself on CATS. Just because you own a whole bunch doent make you an expert. http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=news/archive/2002/06/28/state0310EDT0011.DTL&type=printable

I can go on and on about poor and irresponsible pet care, but thats the problem...I will go on and on and continue to look down on you for supporting such atrocities and being in denial all at the same time.

You have a good day, dear.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.08(Sun)21:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

Susan Wright Don't apologize you are in the right as far as I'm concerned "people" should Not jump to conclusions.

(If you are a True Pet Keeper You already Know the rest of this reply)
For note if the animals don't have tags on and are outside they are strays.
Cat or Dog it doesn't matter, and anyone who decides to give the animal a better life should not have to defend herself(himself) for that person is a pet Keeper and will not turn there back and say "It's not my problem, it will get food elsewhere."

If the animal was breed in captivity and was a house cats offspring It Will Not know how to hunt and will wind up getting parisites from eating trash, and die in a not to pleasant way.

Yes cats run rampant and are over populated but that does Not make there live's any less valuable. If you want Population Control start at home, and Remember people have No Population control set on them but we force it on everything else. Be fair or stay quiet.

Edit davidk
Who says she is in a city, Reality changes per location

Last edited by Glitch on 2005.05.08(Sun)21:55; edited 1 time in total
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.08(Sun)22:02    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everyone take a deep breath-

This is a very worthy debate to have...but, it should be done without attacking other members. Frankly, and this is just my opinion, but if you have to insult to bolster your point, it degrades its overall strength rather than increasing it.

Jake
 Forum Index > Aqua Chat All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: