Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Synodontis nigriventris "upside down Catfish"
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkdog
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.08(Sun)7:37    Post subject: Synodontis nigriventris "upside down Catfish" Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me what sort of size these guys can get to? I have just been given 1 from my LFS coz I have many large tanks and there had no one intersted in him/her.
Also is the a why to sex them?

Richard
kjh90
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.08(Sun)7:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not sure how to sex them but I know that they can get up to 4 inches.
Josh Hansen
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.08(Sun)7:47    Post subject: Upsidedown catfish Reply with quote

During the day my upsidedown catfish sits under the rock or ledge and at night comes out and is peaceful toward other community fishes. They do not become too large as a pleco but I say about size of a full grown giant diano in length. Another cool thing they do apart from swimming upside down under the log or under the rock ledges is their make a croaking noise when outside the water.

from Josh
darkdog
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.08(Sun)7:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks Josh,
So they do well with other fish? and do they go well with Pleco's? coz I have him in a tank on his own at the mo and would like to put him in the largest tank.

Richard
Mogwai
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.05.08(Sun)12:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

Make sure you end up with a true Nigriventris rather than a Eupterus or a hybrid - we were sold a 'Nigriventris' as a tiny juvi which turned out to be a Eupterus. He is now quite large, and we had to upgrade tanks! (that's my excuse for buying more tanks Very Happy )
Josh Hansen
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.08(Sun)19:02    Post subject: Upsidedown catfish Reply with quote

Yes, they are fine with pleco as they are with lot of other fish in the tank they tend to mind their own business. Give them a slate or a rock ledge they can go under as they seem more happy and secure. I do not think you can tell the sex between them. I had one upside catfish chase the other away when it came too close to it. I decided to only keep one because I did not want them in to seperate areas of the fish tank. However they did not hurt each other but I think the same sex become territorial toward each other particularly when one is bigger than the other.

from Josh
darkdog
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.09(Mon)13:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for you help and tomorrow he will get a treat and go into my 340 Gl tank. what I like to call the pent house for my fish.

thanks again

Richard
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: