Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Gouramis
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hs
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.08(Sun)15:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would think you were a bit lucky then, I don't think its the rule that you can have the larger gouramies in even a 35 G without too much trouble, - but it depends on how many plants you have, and also on the 'personality' of the gouramies...
My own experience, and an experience which is often seen in threads here, is that it is a territorial fish, that needs much larger tanks than most people think (not to mention that most lfs might recommend)
Funky_Fish
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.09(Mon)11:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

if I get a pair of the bigger gouramis, will they eat a small tetra?
Which fish is the "best" in your opinion of the 2 gouramis[moonlight/pearl]
Do you think my setup is O.K, or to over/understocked?
Will the kuhli loaches get "bullied" as I here they are not the most boisterous of fish! Laughing

BTW, Thank you for all your replys, They are very helpful!!! Very Happy
thefishguy
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.09(Mon)19:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

in response with your temperment of moonlight/pearl gouramis, I have both in a 20 gal long and they get along fine. I also have plants so its not like they always see eachother. they never fight and get along fine. I don't know if I just have unusually peaceful gouramis or what but they get along fine. Personally, my pearl gourami is a bit prettyer than the moonlight one because the moonlight gourami has some blemishes and a bit crooked tenticle things.
Funky_Fish
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)10:15    Post subject: Reply with quote

thefishguy, what is your setup like? Do you have 1 Pearl and 1 moonlight or are they in pairs?
What other fish do you have in your tank?
What do you keep your pH at, because I live in Manchester, UK and the water here is supposed to be quite soft.

thanks Very Happy
thefishguy
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)17:04    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 1 pearl, 1 moonlight, and 5 bloodfin tetras, and 2 black neon tetras. My pH is 6.8. Everybody gets along fine, except for the bloodfins, they chase eachother. They don't scare the gouramis at all. My moonlight is a lot longer than my pearl gourami (about 2") and they still get along fine. The moonlight gourami looks amazing with a blue LED on at night because its shiny scales look like they are glowing while everything else is dark.
hs
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.11(Wed)15:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy
Just found the perfect gourami for any smallish kind of tank, like 10 or 20 G, - Trichopsis pumila ... pygmy gourami, had to buy 3 of them, I think they might even get lost in a 20 G, thats how small they are, - but kind of cute .... Smile
heres a photo...
http://www.elacuarista.com/atlas/T/trichopsis_pumila1.htm
Funky_Fish
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.12(Thu)10:19    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would the big gouramis [moon/pearl] be happier in a pair or one of each?
I think the moonlight G is bigger and would "fill" the tank out more with a nice shimmer to it, but I also think that the Pearl G has more detail to it and will draw more attention.... Confused ....I just can't chose between them!!! Shocked

I probably won't have any tetras because I hear that the Gouramis will be intimidated by the quick movements of them. Is that true?

thanks in advance Very Happy
hs
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.12(Thu)15:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would choose the pearls, they are so beatiful when they are feeling good, - but I would choose a pair for sure.
I don't think gouramies are intimidated by tetraes, - not really...
Funky_Fish
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.14(Sat)5:35    Post subject: Reply with quote

O.k... So if I get two Pearls what would be good tank mates for them?

Would putting a few fish from the same "area" help [Thailand, Malaysia, Sumatra]?
If so, then any good ones that would go with my tank? [110L]

thanks Very Happy
hs
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.14(Sat)14:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think it matters so much whether they are from the same part of the world or not, unless you like the idea of making something 'true to the biotop' ....
I have gouramies in one tank which is almost 'asian', - so I have rasboras, SAE and clown loaches in there, but in another I have pearls and Apistogramma'es and wild-guppyes, - before that I had emperor tetraes, which I think went quite well with the pearls.
Pearls are not a fish that moves around a lot, they like to move slowly around and nipple on plants etc, or just 'hang out', - so I would not put any very fast and nervous fish in there. Guppyes actually work well also I think, they add a bit of action to the tank.
In a smaller tank I probably wouldnt recommend apistogrammaes as they may compete for the space a little.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Jump to: