Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
is there a pleco for me?
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lewis83t
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.08(Sun)5:24    Post subject: is there a pleco for me? Reply with quote

I have a well planted 10 gal tank and I am finally starting to get some algae build up, I was wandering if there would be a pleco thats small enough to go in my tank? I have 3 zebra danios, 1 dwarf gourami, 3 cory, I would really like to find out if there is a smaller pleco I could use instead of the otos. any advise?
kjh90
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.08(Sun)7:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might be able to get a Rubber-nosed Pleco but that might be pushing it because they can get to 6 inches. I think that Otos would be your best bet overall though.
darkdog
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.08(Sun)7:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try getting a gold nuget pleco,They are not cheap but they are very slow growing. Here is the link on this site for it http://www.aquahobby.com/gallery/e_nugget.php I have had 1 for about 1 year now and have not noticed any growth. and they are great to look at.
Hope this helps
Laskey
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.05.08(Sun)7:50    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read about pitbull plecos on this very board. They may not be easy to find, but if you do happen to find one, they could work. Apparently they stay very small. This site says 2 inches:
http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/loricari/parotoci/236_f.php
Laskey
Mogwai
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.05.08(Sun)12:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second kjh90 on the Otos - plecs are all major waste producers so even a small plec would put out a lot of waste compared to a little group of Otos. Gold Nugget plecs can reach 13in, sometimes more so I don't think they are suitable for a ten gallon. It all depends on which L number you buy labelled as a Gold Nugget - L18/85/81/177 are all sold as Gold Nuggets but the most common is L18 which reaches 13in when adult. Check out Planet Catfish for more info:

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/loricari/baryanci/153_f.php

As for the 'slow growth' , my L81 Gold Nugget has grown from 1inch to 5inches over 7 months - not particularly slow.
Otos are fab and quite 'plec like' - a little shoal would be great in your tank.
HTH
dr_fosg8
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.08(Sun)12:27    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one of these little plecos.

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/loricari/chaetost/318_f.php

According to this site they max out at 4 inches. The one I have keeps all the algae in a 25 gallon under control quite well.
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: