Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Lighting Questions!
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY)  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EvaDawn
Members

PostPosted: 2003.04.14(Mon)19:21    Post subject: Lighting Questions! Reply with quote

http://www.aquahobby.com/tanks/tank0207.html I happen to love the look of that style of lighting. Is that type custom made or something that you can DYI? Since I'm obviously going to have to add more lights to my 50g which I would like to plant I need to figure out how to build a hood.

I'm one of those people who is completely clueless about how to go and do this. Would anyone be able to give me really really precise instructions? I'm afraid to screw up and waste a ton of money! Sad
SoS
Advisors

PostPosted: 2003.04.14(Mon)21:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to discourage anybody, But making a stand like that for a 50 gallon would take some tools and some work to make it look good. that's a custom made hood. That tank is also very small, so making a hood like that was a lot easier for that tank. Unless you have a friend with the tools and the talent I wouldn't try it.

Here's a pretty good priced alternative which should give you the wattage you need.

http://www.hellolights.com/36cfpchoods.html
karfixer
New Members

PostPosted: 2003.04.15(Tue)20:48    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is pretty, but not really complicated. I'd go to www.ahsupply.com and get their 55W X 2 kit with bulbs, that should be sufficient light for most tropical plants. That stylish hood could be made with a single piece of plywood. Most local hardware stores will cut wood to size for you, at a nonimal fee. Use screws and wood glue to hold it together, some primer and black paint and you'd be set. I'd consider suspending it from the ceiling with some hooks and chain, but getting some pcv pipe and using that to hold the hood over the tank would be easy and cheap Very Happy . Primer and paint the pvc to match. Go for it Exclamation
 Forum Index > Do It Yourself (DIY) All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: