Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
New Tank
Goto page 1, 2  Next
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daniel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.07(Sat)23:21    Post subject: New Tank Reply with quote

OK so this week I am purchasing my friends old 25-29g (she isnt positive on the size) tank from my friend for $40. Comes with a filter, light and I am building a stand for it in my shop class. So all around good deal for me.

Anywho I wanted to make this my first cichlid tank and was looking for suggestions. I was thinking a breeding pair of kirbs (though I'm not positive my lfs has them) or a maybe a breeding pair of rams. I was wondering if there were any other I should consider, and if there were any potential tank mates for either the Kribs of the Rams.

Thanks for any help

~Dan >-->-D
Cyradia
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.05.08(Sun)6:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds like you've got a good set-up in mind. I think either of your choices will work well. Kribs are a little more forgiving if you're not sure about your water conditions or how often you'll get busy and miss a water change. Rams can be much more challenging that way.

As for varieties, with that size you can do some west african cichlids (kribs are one kind) although once you get a pair breeding in there you'll have to watch for aggression between the pair. They can be rough on each other during fry raising stress and sometimes one kills the other.

You can do a dwarf south american cichlid. Rams are a kind of these. There are also many kind of apistos that would work. Also there are Laetacara curviceps (common: dwarf flag cichlid) or Nannacara anomala (common: golden dwarf cichlid.) Unfortanatly all of these can be hard to find in the average fish store. All of these also enjoy planted tanks if you're up for that challenge.

Another alternative, but equally hard to find in most pet stores, are small shell-dwelling cichlids from lake Tanganika. The most common species are multies, brevis, and ocellatus. A good tank set-up would look like a sandy bottom and many, many small shells Each fish will take up in a shell and eventually spawn. Often a harem situation (one male to many females) works best. I always think a well done shellie tank looks a bit like a smurf village.

Basically the trick is going to be finding the right fish for the tank in your local fish stores. Don't get impatient and buy something that will grow too large or worse yet be talked into buying something that gets too large by a fish store employee who just wants to make the sale. You should be able to google the fish names up there for more information. Also, don't forget to cycle your tank before buying the cichlids...none of them will take well to a new tank cycle.
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.08(Sun)7:26    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the help. The local petsmart people know me very well and are aware, thanks the this site, that I know more about fish keeping to them. (just not in the cichlid area Wink ) But their very nice and I have abunch of new friends there where we all share advice and experince and such.. but I probably won't buy my cichlids from there. But one of the moderators on here works at a place called fish ranch which has a good selection, and I'm pretty sure they have rams if not kribs.

Anywho I'm very open to any other advice/ suggestions people have, since it will probably be another 2-3 weeks before my tank is ready for its inhabitants.
Daniel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.09(Mon)16:31    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK so the tank is around 25g, 28x12x16 and so I had some more questions. Would a pair of discus be good for this tank, and could they be kept with and aother fish (same question for rams and kribs). Thanks for any help!

oh and angles as well... Smile
kjh90
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.09(Mon)16:34    Post subject: Reply with quote

You would not be able to have Discus in your 25 gallon tank. You might be able to have 1 maybe 2 angels in there though.
Daniel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.09(Mon)17:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

well if I did the kribs or rams is there any tank mates I could consider? or is there any other cichlid that I can have a few of in that small of a tank?
Psyfalcon
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.09(Mon)18:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the shelldwellers if you want more than a pair of cichlids. You could probably do 10-12 shellies in a tank that size. (with atleast 30-40 shells!)

If you went with some of the milder american dwarves you could also have various tetras, atleast until they bred. If that happens, then some of the tetras may start disapearing. Kribs are supposed to be a bit meaner than rams or apistos, so even more caution is needed.
Tommy
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)13:36    Post subject: Re: New Tank Reply with quote

Daniel wrote:
Anywho I wanted to make this my first cichlid tank and was looking for suggestions. I was thinking a breeding pair of kirbs (though I'm not positive my lfs has them) or a maybe a breeding pair of rams.

You've received excellent advice from the others already, but I would second the motion for starting with kribs as your first cichlids. Rams are MUCH more tempermental and should be treated as more of an intermediate/advanced fishkeeper's fish. Kribs are absolutely beautiful fish and you willl NOT be disappointed once you see them in full breeding coloration. With kribs in that size tank you have a LOT of options available to you as far as tankmates go but try to avoid fish that like corys who can be seen as a potential threat to a nest. I had corys in with my breeding pair of kribs but ended up having to remove them because they were getting nipped up. Upper water fish such as female bettas, tetras, etc are generally left alone.

Regarding "where" to purchase quality dwarf cichlids do not overlook your local aquarium society or club. If you have a cichlid specific club in your area you are in great shape. Dwarfs such are kribs, rams, shellies, etc are very frequently found on the auction table at a fraction of their retail cost. You can check HERE for an extensive listing of clubs and associations and hopefully find one in your area.
Hope this helps,
Tommy
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)14:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am planning my first cichlid tank too so I know how you are feeling in having too many decisions.

I have settled on Cockatoo cichlids. I'm gonna get 4-5 of them 1 male to 3-4 females.

after you pick out what kind of fish you want you need to start planning how you are going to decorate your tank so it looks how you want it to be. that should be planned out in advance because it you start moving stuff around in the tank you will start to spook the fish and stress them out.

fo tank mate I would go with a school of tetras or some slim boddied mid to top level fish. I would recomend 6-8 Glowlight tetras, 10-12 Black neons or 6 penguin tetras (sexy fish if you are a hockey fan).

RIP - 6 neons, and a betta
Daniel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.11(Wed)14:52    Post subject: Reply with quote

theanks for the help, ill probly get the kribs when I'm done cycling, and maybe put my female betta and/or some tetras.
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Jump to: