Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
looking to set up a 375 gallon tank
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ace869
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.07(Sat)18:04    Post subject: looking to set up a 375 gallon tank Reply with quote

Hello

Now that I have cycled my 90 gallon and have it running smothly I am looking to add a 375 gallon tank with two integrated overflow boxes. I would like to know from the experts what size power heads I need, what is the best form of filter for this size tank. in my 90 gal I have a 4 inch sand substrate and 80 lbs of live roke for a fowlr set up is this type substrate good for this size tank.? What type of filtration is most efficent for this size tank alo what type of lighting is most efficent. at first I will make this a fowlr and as I grow in the hobby might expand to coarls so please reccomend the equiptent with that in mind. Thank you all for giving me advice as I am serious about doing everthing right.

John
DanG
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.07(Sat)23:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need a couple of powerheads for sure. Typically in a FOWLR setup, you want the water to turnover 10 or more times per hour, so for a 375g tank, that means you need a combination of pumps that will flow about 3750g per hour. In a reef(coral) setup, you want to be closer to 20, if not more.
Lighting on a tank that size, I'd look into the cost difference between a T5 fluorescent setup and a MH setup. In FOWLR, 2-3 watts per gallon is acceptable, when you add coral to the picture, some can require upwards of 8 watts per gallon or more. Lighting requirements can vary depending on the depth of your tank, meaning a 18" deep tank won't need as much lighting to get a useable amount/spectrum of light to the bottom as a 24 or 30" deep tank, so that's another thing to consider.
sblack82
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.13(Fri)8:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would look into the sequence pumps, but understand that to clear the gph flow you are gonna really have to have some serious overflow (Perhpas two 1.5" outlets or so. As for powerheads, you might look into setting up some TUNZE powerheads. I've seen them in a 700 gallon reef tank and they work awesome. The sequence pumps start at 3000 gph at 4' of head, and you can get them up to 6000 gph. most people use these on ponds or to pump from a basement - they are EXTERNAL USE ONLY - not in the sump! with a tank that size and having a FOWLR setup you really should go ahead with the MEtal Halide setup - as it can give you the best bang for your buck, as well as versatility in the light spectrum. If it were me (I'm huge on filtration as my fish selection is high bioload and high waste producing) I would run 2 1.5" bulkheads to big undertank sump that would be bafled with a long refugium area in the center. It would include a 6" DSB, and tons of live rock. After that I would have a sponge for mechanical filtration and an in sump protein skimmer (might actually use 2 due to the size of the tank) that would lead to a bulkhead on ballvalve to the Sequence return pump. I would ballvalve the return line just after the pump outlet and have the return line plumbed to an oceansmotions 4 way drum with 4 x 1" PVC outlets off of it. (see the oceansmotions website for their setup). After that I would use 4 TUNZE powerheads on some sort of electronic wavemaker so that you could keep track of it things (Like the REd Sea wavemaker pro) - you would get tons of in tank flow and plenty of Filtration - better to overdo things a little than to underdo things and have to constantly be trying to fix things. a 375 gallon tank is large and is gonna be a steep investment fo the things you will need to do it right
 Forum Index > Saltwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: