Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
what to breed next
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jayweb
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.07(Sat)9:22    Post subject: what to breed next Reply with quote

I have alredy done convicts and have many more on the way but I'm looking for another fish to breed in the cichlid family. I'm think fire mouth or maby Texas or some other dwarf or new world cichlid. I olny want what I can get at at a local fish store and must cost under 5$ a fish. Also There must be able to fit in my 20 gallon w/or w/out diveder. I want them to be able to take care of there fry and no eat them. Also will they eat bio blenc cichlid and fih flakes. Any one know of any other cichlids that will do all this and breed raplidly just like my cons.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jayweb
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.07(Sat)9:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

still thinking Question Question Question Question have any ideas
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Psyfalcon
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.07(Sat)20:16    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing is going to breed as rapidly as the Cons. But you do have some options.

Jewels 6 inch west african, Seems to be pretty much like a convict inb respect to breeding.

Kribs.

Firemouths- 6 inches max, rather easy to breed, but you will prob have to buy 6 and let them pair up, as they are difficult to sex when small.

Other "Archocentrus" and related species, might go over $5 a fish, but they should still be easy to breed, and maybe you can sell the fry! (I had to give away my con fry)

Various dwarves, such as apistos, or shellies, or julidochromis from africa will be more expensive ($10- 15 ea, but you can probably get a decent return on fry to offset initial cost)
jayweb
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.08(Sun)7:14    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I saw some rather small Jewl cichlids in my local pet store but they look very young how long will it take before they start forming pairs. I did see some Aztech Firemouth which looked a little young but bigger then the jewls. I can't decide which in your opion will be easyer to breed and cost more.
 Forum Index > Cichlids and Cichlid Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: