Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
SAE
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Funky_Fish
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.07(Sat)7:05    Post subject: SAE Reply with quote

Are they loners or would they like company?
Also would it be alright with Gouramis?

thanks in advance Very Happy
hs
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.07(Sat)14:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

they like company, and they are all right with gouramies .... Smile
They also like good swimming space, so a big tank is best... I have three in my 90 G with four three spot gouramies + lots of other fish... but thats works well
2la
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.05.07(Sat)23:28    Post subject: Reply with quote

The do well in groups, but I would warn you against keeping them in pairs. Sooner or later a dominant fish will emerge and bully the other one if there are only two.
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.05.08(Sun)2:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience which I humbly offer, they can also adopt other kinds of fish, especially mid-size bottom dwellers. My single SAE seems to think he's a zebra loach. That has a down-side to it, though. He can bully the three smaller loaches, because SAEs do seem to establish pecking orders (from my experience and other experiences I've read). I'm keeping an eye on him to find a pattern to this behavior--it might just be at feeding time and when I put sinking loach pellets in the tank. I know he gets very possessive over those sinking loach pellets. He goes crazy and spends more time pushing the loaches away and attacking them, than he spends actually eating the pellets. He's not like that when I feed flake or anything else for some reason.

If that's the only time there is a problem, I might be able to keep them together somehow, by strategic feeding of the loach pellets. Perhaps only feed the loaches at night when the SAE is sleeping will do the trick. That SAE is out like a light around 9 PM while the loaches are still active.

Anyway he does seem happy and not lonely as a single SAE, because of his other "friends". It's a love-hate relationship of sorts, but a lot of the time I see them getting alone fine.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: