Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
fish stocking question w/ planted tank
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thefishguy
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.07(Sat)6:45    Post subject: fish stocking question w/ planted tank Reply with quote

Hi, I was wondering if my tank can support more fish. I currently have 1 moonlight gourami, 1 pearl gourami, 5 bloodfin tetras, and 2 black neon tetras. (used to have a good school but they all died for some reason). I was thinking of getting 5 more bloodfins and a gourami or 2 (pearl and/or moonlight). Would my tank be overstocked? (my tank is lightly planted w/java fern, java moss, giant anubias, and cryp wendtii)

Also, Are black neons hardy fish? Mine died about a few hours after being put in my tank. My water was fine and I slowly introduced my water to their water. I am asking these question about the black neon because I like the fish, but lots died and I and wondering if I should get more or not.

Edit - Oh yeah, and my tank is a 20 gal long Embarassed
kjh90
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.07(Sat)19:39    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you cycle the tank before you put the fish in? What are your water parameters? I would suggest not getting any more gourmias because they get territorial.
freshigal
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.05.07(Sat)21:12    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black neons have been the hardiest of all my fish. I've had a school of ten for almost a year now with no casualties. I even have one that is missing an eye and it's still going strong. One tip - don't add all the fish at once. I added five to the tank, waited two weeks and then added another five. That kept my water parameters from getting out of whack.

They don't school very much, but they are peaceful fish that swim mostly in the the middle and upper part of the tank. I feed them flake and pellet food with some frozen bloodworms and dried tubifex worms on occasion.
supaoopa
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.08(Sun)1:01    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the plants you have in your tank are slow growers so they are not going to help much in absorbing nitrates and other nasties. Stock it like you would a regular tank with no plants is what I'm getting at. Wink
thefishguy
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.08(Sun)8:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

My tank is fully cycled and I have pH of 6.8, no ammonia, don't know nitrites and nitrates or water hardness. I'd assume the water parameters would be fine because it has been fully cycled and I regularly do water changes. The tap water isn't particulary hard, but it isn't soft.
I'm guessing that I got a bad batch of black neons or something because the water is fine and it was my first time buying fish from that store.
Do you have any reccomondations for good low light fast growers (would like a tall one for a background plant) I was thinking hornwort.
jersysman
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.08(Sun)11:49    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest getting a test kit to test your water. Just testing for ammonia is not enough. It is impossible to know whether or not your tank is going through a mini-cycle or not with just the test for ammonia (even though it is a very important test).
thefishguy
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.09(Mon)18:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

assuming my tank's water is fine, how many tetras could I get? Is it possible to even get 1 more gourami? Mine both aren't territorial and swim all over the tank if makes a difference.
Honeyrobber
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.11(Wed)15:51    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ancharus(check spelling) is a very hardy cutting plant that grows quick and does not require much light. Hornwort is one of my favorites but it requires more light. Cambodia is another one but it is even more fragile than hornwort. If you have 2.5 watts of cool white flor. per gallon of water your have enough light for all of these. Hornwort and Cambodia just bruise so easy in transit that it takes them longer to get going if you can get them over it. My ancharus grows about one inch every 2 weeks.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: