Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Business question for you who breed fish
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laskey
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.05.07(Sat)4:10    Post subject: Business question for you who breed fish Reply with quote

Hello! It's looking like a possibility that I might be able to breed a few things. I'm having great success with some easy things (livebearers) and although it's more difficult, people in Germany are having success breeding Amano shrimp, and I'm caring for a female shrimp with some eggs and wouldn't be shocked to find my other female with eggs soon. (Yes I've done all the reading and know what to do!)

How do you bring the subject of selling fish, to your LFS? Is anything legal involved, I mean do they need to consider you as a formal supplier somehow and do you need licenses to sell fish, and things like that? How do you bring up the subject of what price you'll sell for? I am definitely not looking to become rich, but I'm finding it fun to raise some babies and I'll have to give them to somebody because I don't have the space to keep all the babies I get! So I was thinking the LFS would be the place I would start. If I get all of these babies, I need to know how complicated it is to be a LFS supplier. Thanks! Laskey
@-McP
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.07(Sat)8:20    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me selling fry is easy because I'm on a friendly basis with the manager of my favourite lfs. If you develop a relationship with them it will be easier to pop the question and really all you can do is ask. 50% of retail is a fair asking price I would think.
number6
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.05.09(Mon)10:53    Post subject: Reply with quote

50% of retail would be fantastic. IME I am content at 25 to 35%.
Take a photo of the fish you have when the fry are young. Approach the manager and warn them you have these growing out. Ask what size are most desirable.
Pre-arrange and let the manager know what size and frequency you can produce these species at. Arrange to phone once size is reached and schedule drop off for a non busy time. They will arrange a free tank and be prepared for your delivery.

Typically I get 30% of retail price in trade at the LFS. I sell to hobbyits 1st, the rest head tot he LFS.

HTH
Discus Man is gone... I remain... #6... I am not a number I am a free man!
Honeyrobber
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.11(Wed)13:23    Post subject: Reply with quote

I raised a lot of livebearer a little over 10 years ago before life got in the way. I had 80 10g tanks. I had limited success with bettas and a few barbs. I put an add int the paper once every so often that read high quality tropical fish for sale with a shortened list of fish available. By shortened list I would put Playties and not each type as the list would be to long and costly. I could not deal with the local pet shop and still can't. But the next town away in 3 directions have nice home owned petshops of which 2 have bought fish from me and the third haas asked me to start breeding livebearer again because the quality from the wholesale houses is really going down hill. You need a few large tanks to do the final grow off in of many species to get good sized young fish(many more will get to the proper size in smaller tanks but it takes much longer). Parent selection is a major concern when you are breeding for sale and you have to have the mentality to kill culls. Culls will only breed more culls. One of the LFS I sold to took a lot of my culls for less money and sold them cheaper than the good fish and some of the culls went straight into the feeder fish tank. My angels and bettas loved my first culling of fish but the next round was to big for them to eat. One thing I did that was proffitable was buy one male veiltail guppy and about 10 females of the same type(sometimes you have to guess as they put all the females in one tank). I put these in old bath tubs in the woods behind the barn with a slow powerhead on each. I would not feed these as nature feeds them. After about 3 monthes catch all the adult fish you can catch(I made a net that was almost as wide as the narrowist tub). Put all the juvies back till the weather cools off when you have to remove them. All you need is a shady spot in reach of electricy and a large plastic, fiberglass, ect. tank/tub. Livestock water tubs work great and are easy to drain. A few helpful hints to this is plant each tub with a different type of cuttings(ancharus, hornwart, cambodia, ect) of aquarium plants for even more income and hiding places for the fry. My fish made money but I would alway spend it back into the hobby which was normally buying more tanks. Nearly all the proffit came from the outside growing tubs.

Price is from 25% to 75% what you pay with the average being closer to 30% to 40%. Some places will do consignment and these give you more money but you must know and trust that person well as you take the loss if the fish die while at the LFS. For odd and rare fish though this is sometimes your best route.

The more rare the fish or more hobbiest oriented fish are the easier to get rid of for more money per fish. Cichlids are in the middle for the most part. Discus though are a special fish with special care and there for are easy to sell with the internet. Killifish are mostly traded between hobbiest so you have to learn how to ship fish but everyone I know says they have no problems getting rid of any extras.

I am looking into getting the Cherry Red Shrimp. These do not need the brackish water to complete their live cycle. I know 2 people online that raise these and sell all they can raise for $3 each.
 Forum Index > Aqua Lounge All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: