Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
New tank set up.
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fraynes1
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.06(Fri)22:12    Post subject: New tank set up. Reply with quote

Hi, I've got a 75 gallon tank that I've had up and running since Nov/04, it was a menagerie since it's conception. I've battled with green water since it started.

So last Friday, I totally drained and tore apart the tank (not filter), took out the gravel, bought lots of Hygrophila, Repens, Java Moss, pennywort and a few others I don't know the names of. Added 6 and 1/2 bags of eco-complete, planted and put the fish back in and started using the EI approach. Chaned 100% of the water except what was in my Fluval 304. As I didn't have co2 (put it in on Tuesday), I used Seachem Excel.

As the week went on became cloudier and cloudier and got cloudier as the day progressed. Noticed my Phosphates were off the chart. Did a 50% w/c today checked Phosphates down to approx 3-4 ppm. Phosphates out of tap are 0 or close to it. Rechecked my pH and KH which are approximately 6.8ph and 70-80 KH which brings me close to 20 ppm co2.

Nitrates are at approximately 10-15 ppm
Potassium 20 ppm
Added recommended dosage for Seachem Comprehensive
" " Iron

What do I do if Green water returns. I had tried the black out prior to all of this and it didn't work very well. If I use the ei method and have the proper nutrients will the green water go away on it's own or do I have to manually (diatom filter) remove it.

Also added lots of Hygrophila today after water change. My pennywort I have floating pearls. Very confused!
Rex Grigg
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.07(Sat)5:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

The phosphate problem is discussed here
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=17212

Semper Fi
 Forum Index > Plants and Planted Tanks All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: