Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Orange color mutation in Gambusia
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulfish
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.06(Fri)14:08    Post subject: Orange color mutation in Gambusia Reply with quote

Does anyone have any knowledge of color mutations in Gambusia? I
have a small retention pond behind my home and today I was walking around it and spotted a small, light orange fish near the shore. I grabed a net and scooped "him" out. It is a male Gambusia. I have seen black ones, black spotted ones, silver ones but never orange ones.
Any info would be greatly appreciated
Thanks
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.05.06(Fri)16:40    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would you be willing to take a photo? Also, where are you located?

I'm assuming you are probably somewhere in the SE US due to the "black spotted gambusia". These sound like melanistic Gambusia holbrooki. Melanism is supposed to be confied only to males.

I have seen photos of an heard of albino Gambusia affinis(Western Mosquitofish-diff species and more common) but never orange ones.
paulfish
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.08(Sun)7:53    Post subject: Re: Orange Gambusia Reply with quote

OK.. This is weird... I caught the fish because, it stood out soo much from the other fish in the pond... in my tank though, he looks a lot like the female guppies that are in the tank... his back looks a little more on the yellowish side though... but other than that, he looks pretty normal from the side. walking around the pond, he appeared to be a bright orange! I thought it was a baby gold fish or something! I'm going to have to catch a few more now and compare them all, in the tank, from the side.

Yes, I'm in the SE... Tampa. Have Gambusia (as far as you know) ever been breed with colors other than black?
nonamethefish
Moderators

PostPosted: 2005.05.08(Sun)9:57    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've heard of albino, but never orange. You may have something unique on your hands. Even the black spotted oners are considered uncommon. I would love to have those black spotted ones around here but we don't have Gambusia holbrooki here(only introduced G. affinis).

What I would try to do would be to see if you can breed more of these. What I would do is collect several newborn fry from the pond and raise them up individually. Then, take one of the virgin females and breed it to this orange male(this assures that you get the genes you are looking for as they can store sperm from several matings). The resulting fry could then be bred back to the male if he is alive. If not, you could try breeding them with eachother.

Not too sure about the tank thing but lighting and stress often change a fishes colors.

Good luck!
~Joseph
paulfish
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.08(Sun)12:24    Post subject: Breeding Reply with quote

I have already caught some fry. I'm planning on doing just what you suggest. I'll just fish out the males as they become noticable, since I don't' have enough room to keep them all in individual tanks.

I'll let you know what happens
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: