Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
1 Newborn
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FrostyLady
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.06(Fri)13:53    Post subject: 1 Newborn Reply with quote

I have a newborn (we think Platy or Swordtail) not sure. It is so small I actually thought it was debris when I was sweeping my tank (planted) and it was swimming away from my net!! It is bearly 1 cm long, peach coloured with eyes. Fins are still clear!! I have put it in my fry tank with a bit of Java Moss and Wisteria. How do I care for this lonely thing? Question
kjh90
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.06(Fri)14:21    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try feeding it some Artemia or Daphina. It might take that, and when it gets bigger, some fresh hatched brine shrimp and/or ground up flakes.
FrostyLady
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.06(Fri)14:42    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice, I will try that.
Very Happy
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.06(Fri)16:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

kjh90 wrote:
You could try feeding it some Artemia or Daphina. It might take that, and when it gets bigger, some fresh hatched brine shrimp and/or ground up flakes.

Artemia and Brine Shrimp are the same thing. You certainly won't be able to get a platy fry to eat a BS that is equal to if not greater than its own size.

Anyway, in all my experiences with livebearer fry, I've found that they take to finely ground flake almost immediately. So you might want to try that first, potentially savin yourself the expense and frustration of trying to culture daphnia or hatching baby brine.

Jake
kjh90
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.06(Fri)16:11    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry about that. Embarassed I didn't realize that Artemia was the same as brine shrimp.
Laskey
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.05.07(Sat)3:00    Post subject: Reply with quote

Algae is really good too. I had the same problem (except yesterday I got a new batch of fry so I have more than one now). I have my baby tank close to a window on purpose so it will grow some algae. I just need to watch it because if we have a hot day, I would have to move the little tank so it wouldn't get hot.

So if it doesn't bother you to grow some algae on purpose, you can try that.

I also crush up other food. I have many different kinds, dried flakes, dried daphnia, algae tablets, some frozen things (I don't know what they are but they're little!) I just crush it so it's small enough for them. I will also feed them some artemia but my friend borrowed my artemia stuff.

I pinch whatever food between two fingers, and sumberse my fingers into the water and let go, that way the food sinks to the bottom instead of floating at the top. I feel better about the food reaching the bottom, near their hiding places, it's probably easier for them to find that way.
FrostyLady
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)9:33    Post subject: Thank you very much!!! Reply with quote

I tried brine shrimp but it was just too big! I crushed some flake and it's eating it. It has grown about 2ml more and is doing well. Thanks for the advice. I crushed some dried blood worms and it took that too. Now that it has it's own home we see it swimming more for food and it comes out of the plants more. I think we have success. Still don't know what kind yet but my female sword is pretty thin at the moment.
Thanks for all the advice. Very Happy
Laskey
Benefactors

PostPosted: 2005.05.10(Tue)10:21    Post subject: Re: Thank you very much!!! Reply with quote

FrostyLady wrote:
I tried brine shrimp but it was just too big! I crushed some flake and it's eating it. It has grown about 2ml more and is doing well. Thanks for the advice. I crushed some dried blood worms and it took that too. Now that it has it's own home we see it swimming more for food and it comes out of the plants more. I think we have success. Still don't know what kind yet but my female sword is pretty thin at the moment.
Thanks for all the advice. Very Happy

Yea, it's great when they have their own tanks, mine are coming out where I can see them too! I do have one or two still in the 15-gallon but decided not to put the fish through more stress by trying to catch them. They take care of themselves pretty well from the looks of it.

If it lived this long it has a very good chance. Swimming around and eating is an excellent sign. Just keep the uneaten food and waste in check and you'll be all set! Laskey
darkdog
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.15(Sun)1:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a short note or warrning!!!
You might want to check in the filter sump for more fry. I have swords and often find fry in the filter sump. :shock:
 Forum Index > Fishes and Invertebrates All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: