Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Getting back into the hobby
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amy9545
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.05(Thu)20:42    Post subject: Getting back into the hobby Reply with quote

Hey all,
About 8 years ago, I had a 20 gallon (tall) community tank...and did quite well with it. I had Angels, Black Tetras, Dwarf Guamies...and these little crazy fish that I have no idea what they were called...and could never find again after buying them. (they werent zebras)

Well anyways, after a few years, my residents died...and I put away the tank. It broke in storage.

So about a year ago, my fiance (now hubby) bought me a betta fish...and a small 1 gallon tank for him. A few months later, Oliver was moved to a 5 gallon...and then a 10 gallon. And while living there, he passed away.

But during that time....my desire for a tank came back. So I went fish shopping.

So now, my 10 gallon houses 3 black tetras and a kissing guami (he was bagged by accident so I told the salesman I would take him).

And in the next few weeks, I plan on upgrading to a 55 gallon.

So I'm planning out my fish. My current residents will be relocated. I'd like to add some more black tetras (I think I'll bring it up to 6) to the tank. I also want some Angels (thinking 6 again...different color variations) again (I just love those)...and perhaps getting the kissing guami a fish to kiss!

But I'm having a hard time deciding what other breeds would be okay. Any ideas?

I'll probably keep the 10 gallon up and running....and I'm thinking of just putting a small group of fish. (perhaps a school of zebra danios)
fishio123
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.05(Thu)21:05    Post subject: Reply with quote

6 angels are too much, I'd cut it down to 1-2. Angel fishes need a ton of room because of their fin and their semi-aggressive behavior.

I'd never kept a kissing gourami, but from what I'm reading from other people's comments, kissing gouramis are best if kept solitary. But with a big tank like yours, I think it would be okay, just be cautious.

I personally think you should have more than 6 black tetras. With a 55 g. tank + large group of tetra = Amazing! So I'd say you can get 12 or so. It's better to have more of the same species than more of a small group of different species.

Just my opinion

Good luck, I hope everything goes smoothly for you. Wink

Don't forget to cycle!!
amy9545
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.05(Thu)22:08    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks! I hope so too. I'm really excited. I'm driving my poor husband crazy cause its all I've been tallking about lately.
Josh Hansen
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.06(Fri)7:44    Post subject: Kissing gouramis Reply with quote

Sorry to disappoint you although they are great looking and personality fish. Kissing gouarmi have potential to harm other fish and to harm each other. They also become 30cm in length. If you really want to buy this fish you will only be able to keep it on its own or have aggressive fish with it.

Have fun again with your hobby and if you have any trouble I am email away.

from Josh
amy9545
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.07(Sat)11:10    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I guess I need to find my fish a new home....or buy it its own tank.

Right now it is pretty small...and I guess it won't get much bigger till it gets a bigger tank.

I'm also rethinking my decision to get a 55 gallon based on the dimensions of the tank.

I don't know if I can afford larger. So I'm thinking instead of just a 55 gallon...I'll go with 2 smaller tanks. Perhaps 29 gallons.

Then I have 2 tanks to stock...and I could design them differently. And it would give me more options.

Any thoughts?
Daniel
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.07(Sat)11:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

well in the long run 2 29 gallons would be more expensive that a 55 if your going for money which I think you mentioned, but it would in my opinion be cooler than 1 55..
amy9545
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.07(Sat)20:47    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any idea what the dimensions on a 29 gallon are?

I heard it had the same length and width as a 20 gallon...but can't remember exactly how big that was when I had mine.
kjh90
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.07(Sat)21:36    Post subject: Reply with quote

The dimesnsions of an All-Glass 29 gallon is 30"X12"X18".
amy9545
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.08(Sun)11:24    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new betta has just taken up residence in my 10 gallon.

I'm still looking for ideas on fish to get when I upgrade.

Will Loaches be okay? I really like what I've read about khulis.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: