Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
water evaporation
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
a deadly fart
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.05(Thu)19:15    Post subject: water evaporation Reply with quote

So I have a 10gal going with a aquaclear power filter that I think was meant for 20-30 gal tanks. It's top is long gone. So I left for school Monday and just came back today and noticed that I seemed to have lost about two gallons of water to evaporation. The tank temp is ~76F. Does this sound right? When I got home and saw the tank I was like $#!+ do I have a small leak somewhere. If it is going to evaporate this much do I still need to skim the top for oil if it developes?

update on the gouramis: for the most part they seemed to have been getting along. Last week the pearl was the only fiesty one during feeding time. Now I notice that my smallest dwarf, the smallest fish in the tank is exhibiting some bullying behavior. Got to keep my eye on him.

jfdskakjsd just took some closer look at my fish and one of the pearl's antenna looks like someone bit off!!! fkjasjjdkfs so would adding some school fishes in there cool things down or should I add some more plants and a couple of cups for them to hide in???
davidk
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.05(Thu)19:58    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats pretty fast water loss. That sounds like you are losing good water (bacteria, etc), faster than you can replace it. Do you have an airstone in your tank? What kind of lid do you have? Sometimes lids that have exposed bulbs can assist in rapid water loss. The airstones send up bubbles that burst on the surface and the water mists on the bulbs and it evaporates promptly.

In other words, gouramis in a 10 gallon? How many? I wouldnt even keep 1 gourami in a 10, they need space.
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.05(Thu)20:17    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got to agree with Davidk, a 10 gal is pretty small for gouramis. Make sure you do frequent water changes, until you get a larger tank.
With a filter that big, with no lid, there is probably a lot of evaporation, and with a 10 gal you're going to see it faster than on a larger tank. I dunno, maybe plastic wrap until you can replace it?
Do you have any tubing hooked up? If so, make sure you have an anti-siphon valve, they are usually really cheap.
If you think you have a leak, take a paper towel and hold it really tightly against the bottom of the tank, if there is water leaking it usually ends up in the crack between the tank and whatever you have it sitting on.

As for the gourami's feeler, it will grow back!
a deadly fart
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.05(Thu)21:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope no leaks. Yeah no cover for the tank nor the filter.. think I might look for something this weekend to cover up the top. Nope no airstone but was thinking of getting one as decorative.. maybe for the future tank I guess. So Danios yes? no? would it distract the gouramis or would it be risky for the danios to enter the tank?
jackie
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.06(Fri)5:59    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree that 10 gallon is too small for gouramis, if you can, please get a bigger tank and at least add some plants and decorations for the fish til you can get a bigger tank.

I don't think adding more fish will stop them fighting

Good luck
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: