Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
Goldfish and tankmates
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AJ
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.05(Thu)18:10    Post subject: Goldfish and tankmates Reply with quote

I have a 10 gallon freshwater tank with 2 quarter size Goldfish and eight 1 inch Zebra Danios (chosen as tank mates per an article on this web site).

My first issue is that of ammonia buildup. I find myself doing a water change several times per week as the levels rise to 0.5 quite quickly. I've taken the advice of our local pet shop and added BioSpira to help speed up the development of the biological filter but it hasn't seemed to help. What should be my maintenance schedule and what activities should I be performing?

Secondly, the pH of our town water is always 7.0 and the tank initially appeared to hold this pH. In the last few weeks, the pH has droped to 6.4 dispite all attempts to hold it at 7.0 I know that Goldfish prefer a pH higher than 7.0. How do I correct this situation? Should I correct this situation?

Thank you for any advice you can offer to rectify this situation.

AJ

Last edited by AJ on 2005.05.08(Sun)17:13; edited 2 times in total
benedictj
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.05(Thu)19:42    Post subject: Reply with quote

To keep the ammonia down, just keep doing water changes, the bio filter will eventually kick up and take over.

As far as keeping the pH stable at 7.0, you'll probably want to either add a small amount of crushed coral to your filter (probably the preferable choice for goldies) or add a tiny (very tiny) bit of baking soda to your water.

The problem with your pH is probably the result of your tank being overstocked. Most goldies get far too large for a ten gallon and produce a lot of waste. As that waste decays, it produces some acids. These acids breakdown your waters buffering capacity, which results in a falling pH.

The falling pH could be contributing to your lack of success with your cycle. As pH falls towards the acid side, the rate at which nitrifiers consume waste slows, though only slightly until the pH reaches 6. At a pH of 5.5, nitrifiers shut down completely. (this is more informational, not something to be too concerned about since you are clearly above that range).

Anyway, my suggestion would be to find better quarters for the goldies and then continue on with your water changes and adjust your pH wiht crushed coral.

Hope that helps.

Jake
AJ
New Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.05(Thu)22:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are your recommendations regarding the amount and placement of crushed coral to be used given my tank size and occupants? I don't have much room in my filter for the addition of this coral, as it is one of the new "in-tank" power filter models from the Whisper Line, (specifically the Whisper 10i), and I rather not mix it in with my colored gravel.

Regarding the overstocking issue, how many and what type of fish would comfortable be housed in a 10 gallon tank? If I move the Goldies to other quarters, can I add some other more colorful fish to the existing eight Zebras. I do enjoy the active nature of the Zebras but would like to add some color to the tank.

Thanks again for your advice.

AJ
anonapersona
Advisors

PostPosted: 2005.05.06(Fri)9:51    Post subject: 8 zebras! Reply with quote

You are already full with 8 zebras in a 10 gallon tank! They will grow to 2" so you have 16" of fish in 7 gallons of water -- overstocked.
Zebras like a lot of swimming room, I thought 6 were crowded in a 29 gallon tank.

For a 10 gallon, I suggest 6 tetras, I like the serpae tetras but they are bullies to other fish. They were a bit mean to a cory catfish, but they were OK with a kuhlie loach.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: