Aquarium & Tropical Fish Site

This repository is for research only. New discussions take place in our current Tropical Fish Forum.

Archivarium 2004
Repository of our 2003/2004 Topics

HelpHelp   Search BoardSearch Board   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Check your private messagesCheck your private messages   Log inLog in   RegisterRegister 
how many shrimp?
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics  Search Board
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raggamuffin
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.05(Thu)16:06    Post subject: how many shrimp? Reply with quote

I was wondering,
how many ghost shrimp could I put in my tank? it's a 75 liter tank which already houses 14 rummynose tetras, a bristlenose plec, and an angel fish. there are plenty of low light plants and bogwood.

ghost shrimp are very cool creatures, but I hear another great thing about them is that they eat black brush algae. is this true?
kjh90
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.05(Thu)16:09    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think 14 Rummy-nose tetras are WAY too much for your tank. Maybe 7 or 8 instead? Also, the angel might see the tetras as a tasty snack. Now to your question, you could probably get 4-5 shrimp for your tank.
Raggamuffin
Members

PostPosted: 2005.05.05(Thu)18:38    Post subject: Reply with quote

4-5 shimp sounds pretty right to me thanks for that. any idea as to whether they eat BBA?

I also think that that the tank is densly stocked, but I don't see why there are too many tetras... they are a tight schooling species and appreciate a good crew. as long as the water quality is pristine (which it always is), I think that they should thrive.

the tetras themselves look great. some have been in there for about a year, others about six months. my avitar is a pic of one of my tetras.

cyradia the moderator stated that he/she didn't think my tank was overstocked in this post. and that was when I still had four cories in there. also, I feel my tank is in compliance with the "how many fish?" article on this site.

anybody have any thoughts on this? I am quite open to any thoughts/ideas on the subject and am quite happy to modify my tank if I need to.

also, has anybody had their angels munch on their rummies?
kjh90
Regulars

PostPosted: 2005.05.05(Thu)18:41    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shrimp generally eat microspic organisms on the bottom and other things on your substrate. They usually can survive on just that but you can supplement with algae wafers.
 Forum Index > Freshwater Basics All times are GMT - 6 Hours Search Board
Jump to: